I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

When God Acts: From Here to Eternity



Photo by Patricia Hunter
By Delores Topliff

I’m currently living one of the most surprising events of my life. 

Without giving full details, years ago my former husband stepped aside from that commitment -- breaking most contact. I spent years doing what I could to fill all gaps resulting from his absence -- learning to lean on God a lot. Abandonment hurt. Yes, I was upset, but did not keep an emotional diary, though perhaps I should have. (I did write poems). 

Mid-way through those years, God gave me a dream showing me that more than being unwilling, my husband had been unable to do more. This truth changed my heart, enabling me to forgive. My lack of animosity on the few occasions we were in touch demonstrated I held no malice. But for at least the last five or six years, we’ve had no direct contact at all.

Recently my phone rang. Now aging and unwell, my former husband believes his time is short. He wanted to make things right. He apologized, expressing appreciation for the role I’ve played in raising our sons, and insisting on giving a gift I had no idea he could provide. And to my amazement, he actually did. There have been further phone calls. I’ve encouraged him to stay in touch.

More than the bank deposit, the gift I appreciate more is well wishes and kindness and peace flowing both directions in renewed friendship. I’m convinced this could not have happened if  God had not extended His redeeming love for us all, making us rich enough, forgiven enough, to extend friendship and fully forgive others. Only God could have set this recent major event in motion.

My closing words on the last phone call were, “God bless you." But that didn’t seem enough. I heard myself say, “I bless you,” which expressed my heart.

God gives us the wonderful ability to bless. I am grateful this resolution and healing is taking place here and now, visible in this life, though also bearing God’s stamp of eternity. 

How have you seen God moving in your life today, now, that will last into eternity?
 

11 comments:

  1. Oh Dee, what a happy story of healing. Thank you so much for sharing. What a blessing that God acted in the midst of what might have seemed like a closed door--giving you the opportunity to bless your former husband...and to be blessed yourself.

    I've seen God moving in my life lately...teaching me to trust in new ways, to give him my uncertainties and watch him work wonders. I want to learn to depend on him more and more...which can be hard for a Type A, first-born, make things happen kind of girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, MTagg. You're a very special girl and I think you've just begun to see the amazing things God will do in and through you. (Listen for clapping applause in background.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dee,
    What a great experience in forgiveness and in this life. No regrets. How awesome is that?

    I never thought I'd see the day where I would be at peace with my parents and have a good relationship with them. Today, I live it. It shows me how amazing my God is.

    Thank you for sharing!
    Alena T.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this story. It is so inspiring to see how your willingness to forgive changed you ... and your relationship with your former husband ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alena, you know how priceless that good relationship is--so glad for you (and them)--and you also know the required price worth paying.So good to see you and your great boys (of course, I'm not surprised at their quality.)

    Beth, you got my first shell-shocked phone call after he called--thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dee, thanks for sharing this story, and revealing yet another layer of the beautiful lady you are--because you allow God to work in and through you. You are a living, walking testimony of the beauty of God's grace lived out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dee, that's amazing. I'm so glad God was able to use you to extend a blessing and forgiveness. You are so gracious, I'm sure he experienced that.

    I've been watching God work in relationships in my life, and learning more about how much he loves us as I raise my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! That's almost all I know how to say. Just, wow! Thanks for blessing us with this beautiful example of forgiveness and restoration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I appreciate each of your comments. I'm amazed at what God has done and that I truly do care for and pray for my former husband w/o any inner pings. I mailed him a birthday card today and invited him to visit if he is willing to pursue getting a passport (he has been unwilling to do that or to ride planes before. Amy, raising children is the best relationship teacher And I just had a noisy happy school lunch w/ my 2 youngest grands 'cause I'm going to miss them while away, but am commissioned to absorb lots & bring back samples of lava tubes, shark teeth, sea shells--all the things grandmas do best, besides deliver lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Dee. Such a tender story, but so like you. Just shows how God is in the big things and the little things!

    Walking with God makes life such an amazing journey.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Pat. You've lived part of this with me. I always appreciate your comments.

    ReplyDelete