I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Who You Are to Me


One of the things women, myself included, struggle with is insecurities. Sometimes I believe I'll never be a good enough writer, mother, wife...[fill in the blank]. When these thoughts overwhelm me, I ponder a poem a friend gave to me. It reminds me who I am through God's eyes.


I made her...she is different.
She's unique.
With love I formed her in her mother's womb.
I fashioned her with great joy.
I remember, with great pleasure,
the day I created her.
(Psalm 139:13-16)
I love her smile.
I love her ways.
I love to hear her laugh.
And the silly things she says and does.
She brings me great pleasure.
This is how I made her.
(Psalm 139: 17)
I made her pretty and not beautiful,
Because I knew here heart,
And knew she would be vain...
I wanted her to search out her heart,
And to learn that it would be Me in her
That would make her beautiful...
And it would be Me in her
That would draw friends to her.
(1 Peter 3:3-5)
I made her in such a way,
That she would need me.
I made her a little more lonesome
than she would like to be...
Only because I need for her to learn
and depend on me...
I know here heart, I know if I had not
made her like this
She would go her own chosen way
And forget me...her Creator.
(Psalm 62:5-8)
I have given her many good and
happy things...
Because I love her.
(Psalm 84:11, Romans 8:23)
Because I love her, I have seen her
broken heart...
And the tears she cried alone.
I have cried with her.
And had a broken heart, too.
(Psalm 56:8)
Many times she has stumbled and
fallen alone
Only because she would not hold
My hand.
So many lessons she's learned the
hard way
Because she would not listen
To My voice...
(Isaiah 53:6)
So many times I have set back
and sadly watched her go her
merry way alone.
Only to watch her return to My
arms, sad and broken.
(Isaiah 62:2)
And now she is mine again...
I made her, and then I bought her...
Because I love her.
(Romans 5:8)
I have to reshape and remold her...
To renew her to what I had planned for
her to be.
It has not been easy for her or for
Me.
(Jeremiah 29:11)
I want her to be conformed to My Image.
This high goal I have set for her,
Because I love her.
(2 Corinthians 2:14)

I don't know where my friend got this poem, but I know it always speaks to my heart. I hope it speaks to yours today.

Blessings,

Amy


18 comments:

  1. When I saw the graphic and started reading this poem, I thought Pat had written it for obvious reasons--she's the potter. Love the beauty of these words. I believe they can speak to the hearts of every woman--a love letter from God. I'm going to print it out and hang it on my desk where I will see it daily. Thanks so much for sharing it, Ames.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy,

    Beautiful! I'm printing it out too!

    Thanks so much!

    (Yes, I thought it was Pat's post too.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's beautiful, Amy. Just what I needed to hear. :) This is going above my computer. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much. It's so very true, the struggle we go through in life. Having kids really amplifies how much God loves us. When my children hurt, I hurt. I shake my head in sadness at the unnecessary pain they put themselves through by not listening or by doing things on their own. When they are ready though, I'm there with open arms.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy, I was surprised to see your name at the bottom with that wonderful picture of a potter at the top. :)

    All that aside, this is such a beautiful poem. The truths in it resonate with my heart. I'm going to have to print this one out. Thanks for sharing its truths.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so beautiful, Amy. Something to print out and read...and re-read...and re-read! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know, it was kind of a fake out with the potter's hands! I just couldn't find another image that really summed it up!

    I'm glad you guys enjoyed it as much as I do. I love to read it and hear the delight God has for each of us in it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cynthia, thanks for stopping by! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brenda, glad you liked it! Hope to see you this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jeanne, I'm glad it resonated with you! Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Alena, I love what you said about having kids and it amplifying how much God loves us. I can hear the voice of a daddy in this poem, and that's part of the reason I love it. It's simple, and He finds simple joy in me.
    I think that's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful, Amy! God doesn't make carbon copies so we can celebrate each individual in our lives as His masterpiece...and yes, with our female insecurities, we can take courage that He made us unique too.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great reminder that all the things we go through, either of our own making or divine, God uses to conform us to His image. I'm being not only conformed to His image today, but allowing myself to be transformed as well, renewing my mind through His word :)

    Thanks Ames :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Teri and Ginger, so true that we aren't carbon copies and God uses every instance to conform us to His image. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amy!!

    I slipped away to Panera for Internet (and a wild berry smoothie!!) to make a quick check of email and our blog today.

    What a BEAUTIFUL post!!

    I just love your heart and I want to publicly thank you for taking my day on such super short notice. I appreciate your willingness to help me shoulder my load, and then to bless my heart with your words. Thank you, my friend. You are amazing!!

    Hugs from Central California (where it is currently cold and rainy, sigh.)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Finally reading this at the end of the day ... and it blesses me so.
    Thank you for sharing this, Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm late to the party! So sorry. Almost missed this beautiful poem. Thank you so much for sharing it with us, Amy. And now I'm going to print it and share it.

    ReplyDelete