I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Monday, April 9, 2012

Checking Back In: One Word for 2012

by Beth K. Vogt

Wander back to December with me for just a moment.

Come on, flip back past March, February, January .... and land on the December 2 blog post titled "Don't Make New Year's Resolutions: Choose a Word for 2012."

I wrote that post just over four months ago and the word I chose was "trust." Back then, I hadn't settled on my accompanying Scripture verse, but I had my visual (see photo). I also promised to "be back in January and check and see how many of you decided to choose a word in 2012."

Well, it's a little past January, but here I am, checking in.Did you choose a word?

And I'm also updating you on how I'm doing with my word ... and with trusting.

Truth is, some days it's easy to trust. And some days it's easier to worry.

I can offer you all sorts of reasons -- excuses really -- why worrying is easier than trusting. Since January I've been beyond busy with deadlines. I'm t-i-r-e-d. Family and friends have faced problems -- emotional, physical and spiritual ones. Sometimes I crawl into bed at the end of the day and as I fall off to sleep, my thoughts settle on "what if" and jerk me back awake.

That's not trusting.

So, how am I going to focus on trusting more (and worrying less) in the upcoming months?

  • I've asked my prayer partners to pray for me to stay focused on trusting as I walk out my days. Every single day. This will be an ongoing prayer request, instead of an "oh, yeah, by the way" prayer request.
  • I've put my Scripture verse  --yes, I have one now! -- as my screensaver on my computer: You will keep him in perfect peace all who trust in you, all whose thoughts are fixed on you! (Isaiah 26:3)
  • I'm posting a daily quote about trust on my Facebook page because, hey, I love quotes! 

Did you pick a word for 2012? If so, how's that word influencing you? If not, there's still eight months left in 2012 -- join us in picking one word for 2012! 

* Here's an encouraging post by my friend and fellow Ponderer, Melissa Tagg about trust: What trust looks like.

12 comments:

  1. Great reminder & I love the art. I haven't revisited mine enough though I'm leaning into it daily as my grandkids are in a painful situation: Eph. 6:13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. So thankful He helps us do that aided by support from praying friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth, I love your picture too. :) I never drew a picture/visual for mine. Perhaps I should have.

    My word for this year is: passion. The first thing I've learned about passion is that humility is the soil for passion to grow in my heart and in my life. I don't have THE verse, but God has shown me verses and devotions that are seeds sprouting withing the soil in my heart.

    I'm looking forward to being more purposeful in studying, pondering passion when my ladies' Bible study lets out for summer. I began a "Word" journal, where I've begun writing the thoughts and things I'm learning about my word for the year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A friend asked, "Does worrying about kids make them safer?"

    Of course not. Worrying about something that might or might not happen is a waste of time and energy. So there's no benefit to worrying.

    As I've posted before, once I realized I have no control over events, it became a whole lot easier to let go and trust God.

    Can't wait to see what God teaches you about trusting this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen this idea floating around and like it, but haven't applied it yet. I'll have to pray about a specific lesson God has for me through this. Thanks for good food for thought as always. Looking forward to your chat tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your post, Beth! Actually, I'm taking a break from blog-hopping today as I've got the day off after a huge working weekend. But I'm so glad I made an exception for the Ponderers blog today. :) I just finished going over my budget and, let's just say, trust is rather applicable in that realm. :)

    But also, I started a new book this morning - Extravagant Worship by Darlene Cszech (no clue how to spell her last name). Sooooo good...I was in tears before finishing the first chapter. But at the same time, I now have a lot of questions...what to do with what I read. What's the practical application...just tell me what to do, God!

    But your post really piggybacked on my thoughts because it reminded me, I don't have to figure it out. Trust is all about fixing my thoughts on Christ and knowing He's got it all worked out. If he's my focus, if all my trust is in Him, He's going to show me how to live a life of extravagant worship, love and joy...

    Also, thanks for the shout-out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved the reminder Beth!

    I have this long list of things I need to be better at.

    It's changed from the beginning of the year. For me,its "focus" and the "discipline" required to focus on what's important and not get distracted.

    I get a little bit better every day, as long as I keep the end goal in mind.

    Blessings!
    Alena T.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My word for the year is listen and my verse: Apply your heart to instruction and your ears to words of knowledge (Proverbs 23:12)
    It's amazing what you learn when you're not doing all the talking! lol
    Great post, Beth, and I'll pray for your to stay focused on trusting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dee: You know the visual is from my “Praying in Color” time. And it sounds like you are applying your word by praying for your grandchildren.
    Jeanne: Love this truth you shared: “ … humility is the soil for passion to grow in my heart and in my life.”
    Roxanne: I know your wisdom is hard-won in some of life’s most difficult circumstances. You are such a woman of faith.

    Julia: See you tonight! I hope you find a word.

    Melissa: Your post was such an encouragement to me. And I think I need to read the book you mentioned.

    Alena: I love how you’ve learned that “focus” takes “discipline.”

    Pat: Hhmmm. “Listen” just may be my word for 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Trusting is a lot easier when I focus on just who I'm trusting in. The One who suffered for me is worthy of my trust.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought I had left a comment on this after reading, but I must have gotten pulled away and forgot.

    My word for 2012 is faith. I'm continually reminded of God's faithfulness even in my doubt. When my doubts rear up, I imagine an iceberg. I see the problem jutting out from the water, but He is at work beneath the surface. His amazing faithfulness continues even during my times of doubt. I'm striving to be better and just trust in His faithfulness.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great word: TRUST

    My word is THANKFUL

    It's amazing how many times this word and its cousins are in the Bible.

    God wants us to offer up the sacrifice of thanksgiving. I am taking the challenge of finding 1000 things to be thankful for. I found 100 just today :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My word of the year is: Commit

    It works in all parts of my life.

    ReplyDelete