I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Monday, April 30, 2012

Do you have a dream?

Melissa Tagg here! See that ^ ? That's a rare peek inside my bedroom.  Talking about dreams today, so it felt rather apropos. And yes, I really love the word apropos. Also, that wall art looks a lot straighter on my wall than it does in this photo! 
I once had a dream.

To marry a rather well-known Christian singer's brother. (Um, if you know me, let's not go naming any names, all right? I'd like to preserve what little dignity I might have left at the end of this anecdote.)

Actually, this singer had a couple brothers in my age range and for awhile, I figured either would do. But then I saw one jump off a huge speaker during a concert and decided, yeah, he's the one I wanted.

I even met him. Twice. Not going to lie, the second time we met, when he said he remembered me, I was pretty sure it was a sign from God we were meant to be together. (And I'm so sure he remembered me because of my beauty and wit and our spiritual connection...not because of my rather interesting fashion choices back then or my nervous giggles.)

Anyway, I grew up.

We did not get married.

And I'm pretty sure now if I saw someone jump from a big speaker, I'd call 911 rather than swoon. :)

Gotta love the dreams we have as kids, yeah? Did you have any crazy childhood dreams?

How about "for real" dreams? Dreams you feel God planted in your heart? Dreams for which you're sure you were born?

I've got those. Oh, I've got 'em. And lately, I've felt God reminding me to be thankful for the dreams He's given me. Because they're exciting. They're fun. They're from Him.

Instead, sometimes it's all too easy to get antsy. Anxious. Weary.

But dreams aren't meant to be that way!

God-given, God-glorifying dreams are beautiful, energy-giving and life-fueling. I've been reading (and loving) the book Extravagant Worship by Darlene Zschech and I love what she says about dreams:
God is the ultimate dream giver and dream fulfiller. He planted His dream within you to get you up in the morning. He planted it so that you would go over mountains and through valleys...If your dream is enormous, and you think it cannot possibly be for your life, I guarantee that it is a God dream. [pg 110-111]
I love that. I love that God plants dreams in His people...nurtures and coaxes those dreams to life...in His perfect time...in a way only He can.

Let's chat about dreams. What kind of dreams has God planted in your heart? Do you see Him at work in your life, maybe gently prodding or outright pushing you toward your dream? Like me, do you ever get exhausted by your dream? How do you get your focus back on the Dream-giver?


Melissa Tagg
www.melissatagg.com

15 comments:

  1. You have a way of talking deep but making me laugh! I suppose like everyone who will be posting, we all want to write. Writing is a huge God-given dream, but I'd also dream of speaking more. Teaching more. I see it in my head. My heart burns as strong as it does for writing. I just want to see women grow in the Lord and have a more intimate relationship with Jesus. I also would like to jump off an amp. You can call 9-1-1 when I break my leg, but man it'd be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, writing is my dream. But sometimes, like today, it feels overwhelming. Scary. Too much.

    But God is enough. He'll sustain me if it is really what He has for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun, Melissa. One of my childhood dreams was to have a floating house boat library for folks up and down the Columbia River so residents there could enjoy books as much as I do.
    Haven't done that to date, but have imagined some of the stories I would glean--and may yet write . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa, you always make me smile. :) Back in my younger years, I had a dream to be a famous singer (there are very definite reasons this one never became reality). When I was a teen, I dreamed of writing fiction, but let that one go because I never thought I could be good enough to develop characters and interesting plots and whatnot. I also dreamed of being a mom. That dream came true via adoption.

    Then, two years ago, a story idea came to mind. After talking with a writing friend, I decided to figure out this writing world. Now, my dream is to write this story well, and hopefully see it published one day. Dreaming big, trusting God, doing the work. Dreaming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing like a quick laugh on Monday morning. I'm imagining some of your interesting fashion choices. :)

    I'm living my dream right now, but I have a deeper, more personal dream that I've given up to God. He knows the dream of my heart.

    Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've realized one long-held dream--working with teens in the abstinence program. There's nothing quite like have a teen say to you: "You changed my life. Thank you."
    And like Lisa, I'm living, er almost living, my writing dream. I have the time to write...the almost part comes in the form of publication. But one day, in His timing, I will be published!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun post, thinking of childhood dreams. Mine were to sing and act. But I've always wanted to write fiction. Always. So now I'm writing and waiting for God's timing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of the greatest things about me: I'm a dreamer. One of the worst things about me: I'm a dreamer! Ever since I can remember I've dreamt of big things in my life. As a young girl I asked God to place His dreams in my heart so I knew which ones to go after and He did. I've been blessed to chase after them and achieve many of my dreams. But, I've also had to come to a place in my life where I had to allow God to change the dreams He placed there - because I had begun to hold on to them so tight He could no longer use them for His glory. I was running with my dreams and not asking Him for guidance and I knew I no longer was seeking His will for my life, but my own.

    Dreams can be a beautiful thing to seek after, but only if we're seeking the Dream Giver first.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've got a BIG dream and because I love guys I'm gonna tell it to ya:

    To be a real person.
    oh and to change the face of Christian romance. Just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this, Melissa! I think we need dreams to keep us motivated in this old world. Yes, we get exhausted or discouraged at times, but dreams, no matter how small, make us willing to get out of bed in the morning and face the day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL...oh goodness, you are funny. Yes, writing is my dream too. It's the small steps that will get me there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your post, Melissa! And the chuckles. :-)For me, dreams are a necessity of life. And how encouraging was the book quote!!!! Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wanted to be a singer, too, Jeanne! I even was going to make a home recording with a friend when I was in, oh, 6th grade. I eventually realized that that dream wasn't going to come true and I was totally okay with that.

    But I do have another, too-huge dream that I was slowly giving up on. But, thanks to that quote, maybe I'll hang on to it a little longer. :-)

    Thanks for sharing, Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jenness, So glad to know someone else had that dream of being a singer. :) Hope your other dream comes true!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you, everybody, for the comments! It's fun to read about everybody's dreams...Yay for loving and praising a God who not only cares about our dreams...but is the One to place them in our hearts in the first place!

    ReplyDelete