I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Like a Puppy


I’ve never had something depend on me for existence before. I’ve also never understood the expression “followed him around like a puppy”…before I had one, that is. The pitter patter of feet constantly in my shadow is endearing. The presents he leaves under my desk—not so much.

Sometimes my husband even gets jealous because that little guy’s love for me is so complete. Cooper will follow me around even if hubby tries to bribe him with a treat. He rarely wavers, well, unless he’s getting into trouble and chewing my shoes to pieces…then I bribe him with a treat.

It brings me joy to see that puppy happy. When he’s eating the food I provide for him. When little Mr. Tenderfoot appreciates the “spot” I shovel for him outside amidst the four foot high snowdrifts. When he’s licking my arm (gross…huge sacrifice, I know!) or when he’s finally sleeping peacefully, curled up with his downy head on my thoroughly-licked arm.

As I ponder how much I depend on God for my existence, sometimes I wish I behaved more like that puppy. God provides food for me. He has given me a spot to call home. He’s given me talents and hobbies I enjoy…and he lets me fall asleep in his arms every night. This month we are pondering gifts. God has blessed me beyond measure. He’s given me his Son. The gift I want to give to Jesus this Christmas is to follow him around a little more “like a puppy”.



December Contest: We're having weekly contests during December and we're giving away fun prizes! Leave a comment this week and you could win: a journal and a mug containing 3 Starbucks Christmas flavored VIA packets and 3 flavored tea bags. The mug has a photo of an old-fashioned typewriter on it and says: Write your own story. To see a photo of this week's prize, go here.

16 comments:

  1. Oh, thank you! That picture and story made my day! I have four kids and I never thought of it like that. The 7 month old will say mamamamamama until I get back in the room and smile the biggest smile ever once he sees me again. I love my kids! This made me remember how special it is to have that kind of love.
    I hope I can show them the same and teach them about Christ's love for us. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the smile to begin my day. :) When I observe my kitty eating, sleeping, & playing, I see her doing exactly what God purposed her to do. We can learn so much from God's creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I did my devotions this morning, I read about a man who attended a seminar. The leader read 1 Corinthians. He asked the attendees to substitute Jesus for love, which was so perfect and easy to do. Then he said for the group to substitute their names for love, which they found was much harder.

    God created us to be special in his sight. He wants us to demonstrate the same love that his son showed us. He wants us to follow him unconditionally just like Cooper does you, Ames. Great post! Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful picture. I love your tender heart, Amy. And I know you bring God great joy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You made me smile, Amy, and ponder. A profound truth wrapped up in a little puppy. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonnie- I can't wait until I have kids who do that! Appreciate each day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So true Brenda! That's what he was made to do...I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LJ, I'll have to try that. I've been so amazed at God's sustaining love this past month. I am in Florida right now for my brother's college graduation, without my sweet puppy. It's funny, I wasn't a dog person until I got Cooper this summer. He's made my writing better, especially the emotion in the first scene of my novel...be careful what you pray for!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amy, your post was so much fun! :) I love the lessons you've learned from your Cooper. :) God has placed a few reminders in my life this week about the incredible love He has for me. I find it so easy to live life captive to the urgent of the day. I am taking an exhortation (because this is the third time this concept has crossed my life this week!) to really love God completely and to follow after him "like a puppy." :) Thanks for the encouragement! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhh, such a cute photo. Makes me want a puppy! Hmm...perhaps I should be revising my Christmas wish lists...jk, but seriously, really great post and wonderful insight. Thanks, Ames. Hope Florida's warm!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful post. And that's what I want. To love Jesus like that puppy loves you. Without reservations. Child-like. Totally trusting. Thanks Ames!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks M-Tagg and Pat and the rest of my Ps and new friends! Florida is warm, but I miss that puppy! Thankfully Ponderer Auntie Jen is taking care of him for us. Are we going to get more snow on Monday? Ew!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aw. What a sweet puppy. Thanks for the reminder to follow God more closely!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow. Great post, Amy!
    (P.S. Can't wait to see you! Maybe I'll borrow a puppy to bring. lol)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loved the article Ames! Reminded me of being told to follow Jesus like little children.

    ReplyDelete