I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Friday, December 24, 2010

The Blessings Of Friendships!

2010 has been a year of great obstacles in my personal life, as well as the family business. When I struggled, not understanding why we were experiencing the circumstances we were, God would send a friend my way. Sometimes my friend didn’t even know how God used them in my life. I’d show up just in time for church and try and duck out early. My friends noticed, and set out to make sure I couldn’t isolate myself. Thanks Robin, Thanks Vickie.

When I wanted to put on a pity party, my friend Laura set me straight. No pity parties allowed. When I started thinking about returning to college after a 15 year break, my friends encouraged me. My writing buddies, most of whom I’ve met through My Book Therapy, plotted, brainstormed and edited my work.

My family relationships are part of my blessings, as I’m sure they are yours. My mother-in-law was one of those blessings; she graduated to heaven this week. She accepted me into her family without reservation. Did I mention I was 19 and my husband-to-be was 35? See, I told you she was amazing! She taught me about dedication to family. She dedicated her life to first helping raise her siblings and then to raising her family. She was a devoted mother and well loved for it!

I’m blessed not just by the actual gifts my friends and family give me, but by the examples they set as they live out their lives day by day. Some of the women have held their marriages together, when I would have given up. All have taught me by their testimonies and their lives of the amazing grace and mercy of God.

This Christmas, give thanks for the many people that God has placed in your life and the gifts they bring to you. As you ponder those blessings, think about how you can add some of those very attributes to the characters in your works in progress!

Blessings!
Alena Tauriainen
Proverbs 3:5&6


December Contest: We're having weekly contests during December and we're giving away fun prizes! Leave a comment this week and you could win: a journal and a mug containing 3 Starbucks Christmas flavored VIA packets and 3 flavored tea bags. The mug has a photo of an old-fashioned typewriter on it and says: Write your own story. To see a photo of this week's prize, go here.

5 comments:

  1. Friendships can make all the difference, can't they, Alena?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reminder to treasure the friendships and people God has placed in our lives, Alena. Such wise words. Sorry for the loss of your MIL. I'll be praying for your family this week.

    Thanks also for the thought about how to add some attributes of special friends to my characters. Great suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alena, I'm so sorry about the earthly loss of your MIL. Heaven rejoices and you can spend eternity with her.

    For Christmas, my nephew bought my brother a TV, and he wrote him a gorgeous poem that cost nothing but his time. My brother loved the poem and said he'd take that over a TV any day.

    Our relationships and friendships are precious treasures not to be wasted. Thanks so much for the wonderful reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alena, I am so blessed by the wonderful people God has placed in my life--including you! Thanks for this post as a reminder.

    I am so sorry for the loss of your mother-in-law. I'll keep your family in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much! Each day that passes, seems to go by faster and faster. It's a blessing in itself to realize the blessings we've been given with family, friends and health.

    I keep reminding myself, so l"ll remind my friends to...ENJOY Life!

    Blessings!
    Alena T.

    ReplyDelete