I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

What's Waiting 'Round the Bend?


As the winds of autumn snag the bright colored leaves and swirl them to their winter resting places, writers all over the world settle in for a long winter of creativity.

You want to finish that novel inside you, but there are uncertainties. Your path is unfamiliar. For a while you were able to navigate your way, but now you discover a bend in the road. The daunting unknown claws at you with both terror--and even a sense of excitement as your strain to see what's up ahead . . . just around the corner.

I learned something from years of riding my bike and running along trails: A trail never looks the same when you travel it from the opposite direction. Sometimes I'd jog deeper into the woods and get spooked. Fear would jump out of the woods from nowhere and trip me up. When I turned around, I didn't recognize the trail. Same trail. Same foliage. Completely unrecognizable. I'd stop and gaze in both directions. Always, the direction I was going looked and felt like the right way. I'd run through my fear, accomplish my goal and celebrate victory!

The same truth applies to my writing journey. When I got scared, I'd think of stopping. I ran the other way, but going backward never felt right. I'm only at peace when I'm headed down the path God carved out for me--no matter the uncertainty.

Today when I come to a blind curve in the road, the thrill of what's around the next bend propels me to stay on the path. To write the next line. To type "The End."

Let me encourage you to do the same! Keep moving forward, around that unfamiliar bend in the road. Discover what's waiting for you.

We're writers. It's what we do!

9 comments:

  1. Reebs,
    Awesome post! Exactly what I needed to hear as I get ready to tackle NaNoWriMo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your post and I think I can smell the fall leaves and hear their crunch under my feet by just looking at the picture! Good luck on NaNoWriMo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful post, Reebs! I love this line: "I'm only at peace when I'm headed down the path God carved out for me--no matter the uncertainty." I, not-so-coincidentally much like my main character in my first MS, like to know what's coming. I like to have a plan...but seems the best things come about when I can't see around the bend and my faith is stretched...

    Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reba, did you jump into my thoughts this week? You certainly described me in the early part of your post. :) Thanks for the encouragement to keep pressing on in my writing, and to move toward and beyond that bend in the road. So appreciate your vivid descriptions of fall too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that insight about trails looking opposite depending on which way we're going,(and sometimes that's needed to see the full picture.) Beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Read this twice. . . and it was good both times!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very encouraging. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so needed to read this post. This line--I'm only at peace when I'm headed down the path God carved out for me--no matter the uncertainty--jumped out at me. It's so true. We allow worry and fear to detour us, but God has mapped out our paths already. Nice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such an encouraging post. I'm so thankful that no matter what's around the bend, God is there, too, waiting. Waiting to wrap me in His peace if it's a patch of rough road or waiting to cheer me on if it's smooth. Loved your opening paragraph. Talk about putting me there!

    ReplyDelete