I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Monday, October 25, 2010

Half Empty or Half Full?


Life for all of us can be, well, crazy. My friend and fellow Ponderer, Beth Vogt, says my four kids are "zany." Ummm . . . I'd say they were crazy. I run them in two separate directions at least three times a day. And at any give time they are all four talking to me at once. We have two dogs who are always trying to slip in the house, regardless of whether or not they aggravated the only skunk around.

My husband had surgery on his rotator cuff last week. It was a tough surgery. Needless to say, last week my life was all about him. The sleeping pill didn't work and the pain medicine kept him awake. I think I totaled all of 16 hours sleep this entire week--and I wasn't even the one who had surgery!

By Saturday I was tired. Exhausted. But I had a round of commitments for my kids and myself that included babysitting my 2-year-old nephew and my 5-year-old niece.

When was I going to find time to write?

I made a choice to change my perspective. I chose to see my glass half full. I chose to be thankful.

My crazy, zany circumstances didn't change. My schedule sure didn't get lighter.
But here's what I focused on:
  • I am thankful I had kids to chauffeur. (I have one baby in heaven already.)
  • I am thankful for the accounting work. (I could be unemployed.)
  • I am thankful I had a car to drive. (There was a time in my life when the only option I had was public transportation. A really bad option in Texas.)
I looked at my circumstances and I made a choice. You know what? At the end of the day, my glass was full with reasons to be thankful.

Ponder with me: Is your glass feeling empty? Take a minute to consider all the things--all the people--you can be grateful for. Even better, share your reasons to be thankful in a comment below!

Alena T.
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

9 comments:

  1. Confession: I tend to the glass half-empty perspective. But, today, I will keep pouring water in my glass, i.e. looking for reasons to be thankful.
    #1: I am thankful that I've already logged in 2 hours of uninterrupted editing while my family slept. Guilt-free editing is a beautiful thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alena, love your encouraging post. I've had half-empty days, but I really try to focus on half-full days. I totally understand crazy and chaos, but life rewards us with so many blessings. I'm thankful for my family, my friends, my job, my church, my abilities, and most of all, Jesus who constantly refills my bucket with His unconditional love and grace. Blessings, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alena, beautiful post. When it comes to the big picture, I tend to look at the glass as 3/4 full but sometimes get bogged down in the little, day to day distractions. Thanks for giving me a better perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I'll admit, my glass is always 3/4 full. It takes a lot to phase me, but when it does...not good. But sometimes that means I go through life happy-go-lucky, and don't buckle down and get things done. So, that's my confession, I need to be better about getting things done, even when my glass is half full.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alena, I sure enjoyed your encouraging post! Thanks for your transparency and your exhortation to look for the positives. :) It really is a choice, isn't it, to view things with a glass half full perspective?

    I tend to be a glass half full kind of gal, most of the time. :) When I move to the opposite view, it's not pretty.

    I am grateful for God's never giving up on me, for the family He's given me that I soooo don't deserve, for wonderful friends, and for the opportunities to learn how to express myself with the written word. :) There are more, but this comment is long enough! :)

    Thanks again, Alena!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your post, Alena! Honestly, whether I'm a half-full or half-empty kinda gal totally depends on the day...or the weather...or how long it's been since my last diet coke with lime. :)

    Thankfully, on my half-empty days, I am surrounded by people who pick me up...so that's what I'm grateful for today: the amazing people who pour into my life joy and encouragement and inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi All!
    I love all the comments. I'm THANKFUL that others, have to work through these same things. Some days it feels like I'm the only one!

    Make it a FABULOUS Day!
    Blessings,
    Alena T.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am thankful when my child puts himself in a situation that would kill him, God snatches him back and says, "My child."

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am thankful for the people God has put in my life to encourage me along the way!!! Thank you Alena for your uplifting words. I am usually optimistic, but I admit that sometimes when life throws me a curve ball, it's easy to forget God's goodness and grace.
    Thank you for your encouragement!

    ReplyDelete