I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Why God Rocks...Reason No. 1 Bajillion


Anybody who knows me beyond, “Whoa, does that girl ever not have a can of Diet Coke with Lime in her hand?” knows I've been a little preoccupied lately. And not with my WIP. Or ACFW. Or any sort of writing ponderation. (Wow, I expected spellcheck to zing me for that last one. Turns out it's actually a word!)

Nope, much as I've tried to be Writing Wonder Woman this summer – minus the not-so-modest suit, though I'd totally take the boots – I've had trouble focusing. All because of an adorable little guy named Oliver.

I've written about my two-month-old nephew multiple times on my own blog. He was born June 21 with two heart defects and Down Syndrome.

Well, last week Ollie had a second heart surgery. Going into it, the brutal truth jabbed me emotionally: he couldn't survive without the surgery, but the risks of the operation were nearly as high as no surgery at all. I drove blurry-eyed to Children's Mercy in Kansas City, wondering if the few minutes I'd get to spend with Ollie that morning would be the last, thinking about what my sister and brother-in-law must be feeling.

Hours later, as the medical team rolled Ollie away for surgery, we prayed as a family. And waited.

You know, if I had my way, God would've healed Oliver's heart defects before he'd even been born. Or He would've stopped the leaking fluids which forced Ollie's second heart surgery. Or He would've...

But He didn't. Because He's God. Because He has a different plan. Because His timing trumps all.

And because of His timing, my family got the joy jolt of our lives last Thursday when Ollie made it through surgery. He's still going strong today. Not only that, a team of doctors and nurses – who had strong doubts about Oliver's chances of making it through surgery – and literally hundreds of praying family members and friends have been impacted. Why, Ollie's caringbridge page has received over 10,000 visits! My beautiful nephew has touched soooo many lives – and he's not even walking and talking yet.

Well, this is supposed to be writing blog, not the Auntie Melissa Show. So here's the thing: We writers can get pretty antsy, can't we? Especially with a conference like the ACFW approaching. We have goals and dreams and hard as we work, we don't generally get to control the outcome, yeah? But just like He has displayed in Oliver's life, God is at work in each of us, in our writing. He's got a crazy good plan being played out in His own perfect, to-the-minute timing.

And when that truth smacks me in the face, it knocks the antsy-ness right out of me.

And hopefully you, too! Yeah?

Melissa Tagg
www.melissatagg.com

p.s. Is this not one of the most adorable babies you've ever seen?

18 comments:

  1. Oh, M-Tagg! It's AWESOME to see pictures of Ollie, and even better to hear he's doing so well. Praise God for his 1 bajillionth miracle. Keep them coming, God!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa, what a touching post. Thank you Lord for your healing touch on this little baby that is wonderfully and fearfully made. With You there is no limit to the possibilities.

    So glad for the picture...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww...we've prayed so much for him and now we get to see him. You're post is writing related in that you've shown us through all of this where a writer's true priorities belong!

    And thanks for the reminder days before the conference that God's timing is perfect.

    Thanks for sharing this Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I am praying for a miracle for *your* family, Amy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And thanks, Pat and Teri. I just couldn't not write about Ollie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I snuck a peek at this post before it went "live"--ah, the joys of being an administrator ont this blog! I smiled while I read it . . . and I'm smiling again. I even had my daughter, Christa, read the story of Ollie. Now she can pray for him with me.
    This is definitely an instance when real life trumps writing life, Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  7. great post, Melissa. Yes, God has his timing and we're praying for little Ollie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michelle Lim9/8/10, 11:06 AM

    What a perfect truth to remind us of as we head into conference. And what a totally adorable miracle Ollie is! Some of God's most amazing lessons come in the package of a child. Thanks for sharing your journey with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bless you and your family, Melissa. He is an amazing little boy, and I'm sure God has plans for him - and has already used him to reach many with his story! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sneaky, sneaky, Beth! :) Thanks for sharing the story with your daughter, too. We can't have too many people praying!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, Susie! So guess what...my sister, Ollie's mom, has read all three PJ Sugar books while in the hospital. And I'm happy to say she was also on Team Jeremy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. And thank you, both Michelle and Regina. Are you two going to be at the ACFW? I've seen your names on our blog, but would love to meet you in person!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Melissa,

    Thanks for sharing your post! I, too, appreciate how you brought perspective from real life into where our heart perspectives need to be when it comes to writing. God is good, and He does have a "crazy good" plan for each of us! May each of you who gets to go to ACFW this month be blessed by God's perfect timing and His wonderful plan for you through the course of your weekend there!

    ReplyDelete
  14. He is so precious!! Terrific post, M. God is definitely amazing. Thanks for the reminder. Praying for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you, Jeanne, and LJ, too. God rocks, and that's all there is to it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So beautiful, Melissa--thank you! The pics make me and all want to get our hands on this little miracle guy and love on him. Please pour in the love for us, and we'll keep praying and rejoicing. It's very neat to have our Pondering lives intertwined.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for the prayers, Delores! I know what you mean about seeing the photo and just wanting to hold Oliver! And I, too, love how us Ponderers have become so connected...and it's fun to see our little circle growing through this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have been blessed as a member of the ponderers to hear the ongoing story of Ollie and hold him up in prayer. He is sooo cute and already a very special person in all our lives. My prayers go out to you and your family and thank you Melissa for sharing your story with our blog family!

    ReplyDelete