I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

ACFW Golden Nuggets

Author Tim Downs stood at the podium in his two piece suit, delivering a stone-cold truth that will change my life forever. "The man with one talent went and hid his in the ground... his master replied, 'You wicked, lazy servant..."

The parable of the talents, found in Matthew 25, is familiar to most of us, but I doubt that many have ever looked at it Tim's way. He said that the Master intended his servants to invest their talents.

Now we all know that the Scripture is referring to talent as money, but as Tim pointed out, the word talent is a double entendre (meant to be understood in two ways). The talent also refers to our lives.

Each man took what the Master gave them and invested. All except the man with the one. He hid his. So, when the Master returned, he had this to say of the man who refused to invest: 'You wicked, lazy servant! (Matthew 25:26)

Tim reminded us that, "There is no failing when you invest. None that invested his talents were put to shame. The one that didn't invest was the evil one!"

So here's the thing. You know that writing talent that you've been wondering whether you should do anything with or not? Let me spell it out in plain English for you. DO SOMETHING WITH IT!

God is not going to put you to shame for trying even if you fail. You will, however, be put to shame if you do nothing. So come on, do something. Write for your church bulletin. Write notes of encouragement to your friends--or enemies, for that matter. Start that short story or novel or how about a non-fiction book on how to serve God or perhaps an article? The method does not matter, just pick up a pen and write something. Then share it.

Oh come on now, you didn't think the Lord would just have you write something and then bury it, did you? That's what the evil servant did. If you don't share it then it's not investing it.

Think about this for a bit. That humility you think you have inside you, the one that says, "Oh no, I'm not good enough." is really pride rearing its ugly head. Don't fall for it. If God can use the mouth of a donkey, He can use you and me just fine. So come on.

I want to hear from you. Tell us how you stepped out! I'm looking forward to hearing from you. And remember... you can do it!
ginger r. takamiya

19 comments:

  1. Tim Downs rocked the house at ACFW! Everyone needs to get the recordings and listen to them!

    Thanks for reminding us, Ginger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd heard Tim Downs speak at FamilyLife Marriage Seminars. Was eager to hear his perspective on the writing life. He didn't disappoint.
    And, Teri, I invested in the MP3s of the conference. Can't wait to get my recordings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim Downs cracked me up! So funny...and so poignant. His address on Saturday afternoon was really thought-provoking too - he asked the question, "What is Christian fiction anyway?" I also can't wait to get my MP3s!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing, Ginger! Looking forward to those recordings...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got distracted and forgot to order so now I have only my memories to sustain me. I'm such a dork sometimes :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I vote that Ginger's "dork" comment be stricken from the blog. No misspeaking on the Ponderer blog, Ginger!
    (And I deleted my previous comment because I had a typo/misspelling. Ack!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beth, you crack me up! Never fear, Ginger. We can still order. ACFW will be posting soon where we can order.

    The conference went way too fast for me to think about ordering. I do want to listen to Tim Downs again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL! I meant dork in the best possible way ;) I love you, Beth. You're not only beautiful and talented, but you are a wonderful friend as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll never EVER forget hearing Tim Downs speak. He made me laugh, but more importantly he made me think . . . and Ponder. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ginger, Thank you for the wonderful reminder that even though the writing adventure can prove disappointing, we should never turn our back on the gift God has given us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Jennie, you articulated that so much better than I. That's exactly what I wanted to say. BTW, it was so wonderful to see you this week. I have truly missed you ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tim Downs was amazing. The first thing I said to my husband when I called him that first day was that I wish he could have heard him. He's just finished reading the first "bug man" book, and when we got the freebie from Tyndale, I had Mr. Downs sign it to my husband. What a nice man, and what a story. Loved the story of his salvation experience, too. The importance of story...what IS Christian fiction, anyway? .... I'm still pondering.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Way to go Regina! And pondering is what this place is all about ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ginger,

    I LOVED your post! I know, "Love" is waaaay overused in our language, but your post is encouraging, funny and challenging. You broadened my perspective on talent and challenged me to think, first of all, what talents has God given me and what am I doing with my life? Secondly, you challenged me to invest my life--in writing, in my family, in the sphere of influence God has placed me in, and in those unexpected moments He brings my way. I DON'T want to hide my talent in the dirt! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jeanne,

    Praise God, you so got it! Thanks for that encouragement as well. May the Lord answer your ponderings on your talents and may He abundantly bless your investments.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a great post, G. Love the encouragement that shines through it. I loved listening to Tim Downs. I can't wait to get the CDs to catch up with his sessions that I missed.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well said, & so glad you & Pat made it to ACFW!!!

    ReplyDelete