I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Friday, September 17, 2010

Stop...

Image from freefoto.com

Sometimes conferences, especially the ACFW Annual Conference, can seem completely overwhelming. Workshops provide information at speeds of 10, 25, 30 or 70 miles per hour and before you know it, information overload has brought your brain to a yield, or worse, a dead end.

Often you can work up an impressive panic attack waiting in two hour parking before you pitch to your dream editor or agent. When your turn to pitch finally comes, all of the sudden your tongue has thickly settled (can anyone explain that road sign to me? I mean, seriously…) and your perfectly practiced pitch doesn’t go one way, but the wrong way.

I’ll let you in on a Ponderers secret. Stop.

One of the best things about the Ponderers is knowing there is always someone who will lift you up in prayer at a moments notice.

We Ponderers would like to take a moment to lift each of you and your conference experience up in prayer. For those of you unable to attend, we’ll pray for you too. (And I suggest you check out Heidi’s post from yesterday. I’ll admit it, despite being in a hospital with a bunch of sick people and NOT at ACFW, I couldn’t stop laughing!)

Heavenly Father, thank You for preparing a journey for each one of us. Whether that journey takes us to Indianapolis or leaves us in our hometown this weekend, we know You are there.
Thank You that You alone know who the right agent or editor is for our manuscript, and You have divinely orchestrated each appointment and encounter the ACFW attendees will experience. May their pitches flow like honey to receptive ears. Prepare their hearts and minds. Calm their nerves. Bless those teaching, so attendees might learn and grow as writers. Unite us in forming new friendships and strengthening old ones.
For those of us unable to attend, may we see You at work in our lives this weekend at home. In Jesus name, Amen.

Okay, for those of you who are at ACFW right now: post what you are learning, experiencing, and how God is moving in your life at the conference this weekend. Also, post your prayer requests.

For those of us on the home front, let’s cover these writers and their requests in prayer this weekend and learn from what the attendees share with us.

Blessings,

Amy Lindberg

9 comments:

  1. Miaa you, Amy, but know you're a needed bright spot there. Does it help to say that I drove 12 hrs. yesterday, arrived safely, since Hyatt was full by time I knew I could come, I reserved 6 miles away, tired so crashed & decided to shower, do hair this a.m. BUT water main broke at midnight--this whole block (only this one) has NO WATER. Still glad to be here, but hope my current reality check helps a tad. Delores

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, thank you for bringing the Ponderer tradition of prayer to the blog. You are missed--all of the Ponderers who are not here in Indy are missed and being talked about/prayed for by name!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delores,

    Remember Satan will be busy attacking those of you there, but God is bigger than NO WATER!

    Father, please restore the water to Delores's hotel and the city block. Prepare her for the appointments she has this weekend, and may she feel refreshed by you moreso than a shower ever could. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. TEE! I miss you guys so much, my heart wants to be two places at once, meaning it sometimes isn't "here" very well. Thank you for praying for us. Know we are praying for God to work mightily in your lives and open doors wide for each one of you.

    I can't wait to see the big things God does in your life on "the dark side". (That equals fiction, for those of you who've forgotten Beth started on the non-fiction "actual" dark side. Disclaimer: Beth is neither exceptionally into Star Wars, nor on any kind of "dark" side.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy, what a great post. I am committing to pray for those Ponderers who, and aren't, at ACFW this weekend. May the Lord work in and through you all. May He fill you with His confidence and grace, and may He give you His heart for the people you will interact with this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeanne,

    Thank you so much for your prayer. Are you at ACFW this weekend? Let us know so we can pray the best for you, whether you are or not.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the prayer, Amy! We miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Miss you too, Teri! So much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Amy,

    Actually, I did not go to ACFW this year, for two reasons. :) I am so new to the writing world, that I didn't feel ready to do it, but also, our church had our ladies' retreat this weekend, and I signed up for that months ago, before I knew the surprise (writing) that God had in store for me. :) I hope your weekend was good.

    I'm also looking forward to hearing from the Ponderers who attended how it all went. :)

    Hopefully, I will get to meet you next year at ACFW, Amy!

    ReplyDelete