I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Seasons of Prose

Somewhere a brisk autumn breeze caresses the cheeks of a writer. It ignites fires of passion. The love for her story burns hot. Her fingers fly over the keyboard with fervor until finally she types “The End” and collapses, totally spent.


While the fall wind blows across the northern plains, in the sunny south, a writer's-blocked author wipes the sweat from her brow. Her hair sticks to her head as she struggles for air. Searches for anything that would breathe life back into her story. Any forward motion is met with fatigue and lethargy.

In the Midwest, a farm girl polishes her tractor as she daydreams of winning the Frasier. She reminds herself that seeds must be planted today in order to enjoy eating ripened fruit during the next harvest. So she tucks the ceremony safely back into her memory box and plants.

Everywhere, in all stories, with all writers, there are seasons. Just as it was 30 degrees in Upstate New York at the same time it was 90 in Denver and 70 degrees in Chicago, so it is with our Seasons of Prose. Our writing temperatures vary.

Every writer knows the feeling of blizzard conditions when our plot cools off. Oh, and when the fog rolls in, we can’t see our story world at all. During springtime, flowers spout up new character ideas and autumn finally puts the period at the end of the last sentence.

This is the circle of life . . . a writer’s life. The seasons of prose. The necessary ebb and flow of tides of words as they deposit trinkets upon the story sands and then retreat back into the ocean of literature forever.

Take heart, fellow writer, whatever season you find yourself in. Enjoy it! Embrace it! If the season is not comfortable for you, put on a sweatshirt and curl up with your story. Springtime will come! New life will blossom and when the time is right, you’ll reap a bumper crop!

Reba J. Hoffman

11 comments:

  1. So beautifully written. And what an encouragement. Thanks Reba for reminding me that writing is a journey. It can't be hurried and it's all in God's timing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, what season am I in? Well, I've planted seeds I never expected--writing fiction instead of nonfiction. And even more than that, I have others ready to look over my crops and see whether they want to purchase them . . . so, we'll see how the harvest goes, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought of that verse in Ecclesiastes 3:1 when I read this, Reba. "To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under heaven."

    Some of my stories are in different seasons. Some already plowed under and some still growing and in need of pruning.

    Sometimes a fog rolls in and makes my season seem a little hopeless--no one will ever want to read this!

    Thankfully, the sunshine of God's love breaks through that fog, and I can breathe in the air of encouragement knowing I feel like I'm doing what God created me to do in writing these stories.

    To everything (even writing) there is a season.

    Thanks for the reminder, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved it Reba, so glad you are posting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully written, Reebs. You're a constant source of encouragement. :)

    Just like the seasons of a person's life, a writer goes through different seasons too. I'm hoping I'm in the harvesting season because I've been planting for quite a long time. I'd love some fruit for my labors. :)

    Autumn must be in the air because at Seekerville today, Ruthy posted about Season's of a Writer's Life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a wonderful post, Reebs! And a blessing to me on this particular day...

    Polishing a tractor...hehehe!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reba,

    I so enjoyed your post and the descriptions of a writer's life in season/weather terms. I'm most definitely in the seed planting stage,with much prayer. I enjoy reading the words and thoughts of writers further down the road than I because it begins to prepare me for those other seasons coming. It also encourages me to be diligent, no matter the season. Thanks for your encouraging words!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for this lovely post, Reba! So good to be reminded that all writers have foggy days ... and yes, lethargic days, too. But we are writers; therefore, we press on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Reebs, you are a poet. Such prose. and of course (LOL on the spent).

    Beautifully said my dear. Keep writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Reba, you are such a joy to us--so glad you're among us (or whatever southern expression says that best.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely thoughts, Reba. So thankful, however, that we don't actually have to be good farmers/gardeners to be good writers. Because I would truly be doomed. :-)

    ReplyDelete