I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Tuesday, December 23, 2014

How to Have a Blessed Christmas

Recently I strolled down the mall near our house with my arms loaded with bags and my heart practically singing with happiness. Not a single one of the purchases were for me. 

Since we're "The Ponderers", I thought about what it was that made me so happy that day. God brought a verse to my mind. "It is more blessed to give than to receive." (Acts 20:35)

That was it! God's word became real in a new way. Happiness at Christmas does not come from the presents we receive. It comes when we first think of God's greatest gift ever, His only begotten Son who came to this world to save mankind. Next, since the Bible is always true, joy comes when we give.

Gifts do not always have to be a material items purchased at the store. They can be kind words or actions of love. Your time can also be a gift. 

Is there someone in your life who would rather have "a pat on the back" more than a new sweater? Could your words of blessing be the best present your husband receives this year? Does a friend or relative just need some of your time during the holidays? 

But since we do love giving something gift-wrapped, let me make a suggestion for the fiction writer in your circle. Books. Non-fiction books! Why? The right kind of book can refresh their creativity and renew their calling. And let me tell the truth here. When a fiction writer reads a great Christian non-fiction book, they just may get a great new idea for the tension, the conflict, the black moment, or even the "happy ever after" portion of their book! 

So go ahead. Have yourself a blessed little Christmas as you give--just like Jesus. 

--Teri Smith

Photo from free digital photos


6 comments:

  1. Brilliant post. Spot on.

    What I do, in trying to keep the spirit of Christmas alive through the year, is give...to our rescued dogs,all 26 of them. Give of myself, my time, my energy.

    Sometimes, maybe often - the time and energy I would have used to write.

    And in the light of love, they smile, bloom,. and roll on their backs for tummy-scratches.

    It's worth it.

    http://blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.com/2014/12/a-message-for-grief-shove-off.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrew! Glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  2. Teri, what an inspiring post as the hustle and bustle of Christmas nearly overwhelms me! Today I will make it a point to give someone my time. Blessings to you this Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed, it Pat. Time is an awesome gift!

      Delete
  3. You and your thoughts are as beautiful as the graphic attached to the post. Thanks and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, and Merry Christmas to you too!

    ReplyDelete