I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Heart-stopping fear

Delores E. Topliff
What? A ghost? We’re well-past Halloween, that holiday where spooks say “Boo” and cause heart-stopping fear. 

Ideal life and writing is not always untroubled smooth sailing. It includes surprise ups and downs that define successor show what's needed to succeed next time.

I couldn’t master bike riding at age ten until my little sister tumbled down a cellar coal chute and needed rescue. Then I quit concentrating on balance and which foot to put where and simply pedaled like mad across the park to rescue her. Bike riding became easy.

In college I couldn’t manage ski rope tows and got thrown every time until an instructor stood behind me, put his arms around me, and said, “Just relax, let me carry you up.” He did and it worked great. And what had been impossible became easy after that.

My mother’s great fear of snakes influenced us kids until I made myself fight to be a good example for my grandkids. Though snakes are still not my favorite creatures, I can touch them now without revulsion, once I know which are truly harmful and which are non-dangerous lookalikes. In some areas of Israel, I scan paths for serpents, but turn off that brain function when back home.

The Ebola scare intensified while we were away. Five airports including Chicago had begun screening procedures by our return. One mature Christian woman on our team trusts God for health issues and thrived in Israel. When we changed planes in Paris, her new seatmate was a nurse who had been visiting home but was returning to the U.S.
“Where is home for you?”
“West Africa.”
“Do they have Ebola there?”
“Further away. Our area is fine.”
U.S. Customs forms came around needing completion. The nurse asked to borrow my friend’s pen. Small requests sometimes become bigger issues . . .

Even in fiction when characters overcome challenges that defeated them before, we celebrate their growthand are encouraged to do the same.

Have you faced heart-stopping fear? Are there things that used to paralyze you that no longer do? Tell us about them, and what made the difference.

5 comments:

  1. What am I afraid of? Actually not much. While I don't like snakes, I'm not that afraid of them and would prefer not to be around them. Oh, I know! I'm afraid of my computer crashing and losing all my files. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you have everything backed up, Pat!

      Delete
    2. I do, Teri. I bought a Passport Ultra external drive and that's what I work from. Plus I email my work to myself every night. lol

      Delete
  2. I have to admit I'm afraid of yucky things like snakes, but most of my fears for my loved ones can be calmed with a good dose of verses from the Bible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fear I'm facing now is adjusting to a new computer system. I dream of someone perfecting a computer system that takes and edits my best thoughts into stellar form w/ flawless punctuation, grammar, even publication, promotion, sales and records--maybe even thank you notes to loyal readers and positive reviewers--I'm not asking for much, am I?

    ReplyDelete