I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

The Dreaded Phone Call

By Jennie Atkins

As mothers, we always fear the possibility of receiving the “dreaded” phone call—our child is in trouble or has been in an accident and is hurt, or worse.
My call came Sunday May 25th right after dinner. My oldest son, Toby, the one I affectionately call “My Adrenaline Kid” had been in a horrific accident while in a motocross race in Anchorage, Alaska.
I think I always knew I would get one of those calls concerning him, but prayed I never would. I say this because Toby has been riding a dirt bike since he was five years old. Every year he got faster, every jump took him higher, every race more competitive, every stunt more aggressive than the last.  Yes, the picture shown here is him, flying through the air on his dirt bike about a week prior to his accident.
When the phone rang, the look on my husband’s face after answering the call told me what I had always feared. And since then we’ve learned the chances of Toby walking again are solely in God’s hands.
Some would curse God, but how can I when I raised him to reach for the sky? Some would ask God why Toby had been left in such a state.  I instead thank God because it could have been worse, so much worse.
God’s hands have been in everything. He is in control and will sustain us through the good times—and the bad.  He is our provider, our caretaker, our savior.
The Bible tells us in Philippians 4:19, “And this same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from his glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus.”
I write this to you today as an encouragement. No matter what life brings, God is there for you.  When you get the dreaded phone call, unexpected news, or face issues of life and death.  God is there. He is walking beside you, carrying your burdens for you. He WILL supply your every need.  He is just one word away…Jesus.

13 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear this, Jennie. Thank you for this encouragement amidst the storm. Praying for your son and family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennie, I love how you cling to Jesus in the midst of this trial and point others to him. I continue praying for Toby and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an inspiration you and your whole family are! I keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, you all are in our thoughts and prayers. Thanks for keeping us updated. How was your long weekend with him and family. We are praying for shockingly wonderful recovery and lasting blessing and change in every way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are welcome, Gabrielle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Roxanne, Your prayers are greatly appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pat,
    Thank you also for your prayers, its a comfort to know I have friends praying for Toby and the whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This morning I read a wonderful devotion called Uncertain Times, and the author cited Philippines 4:6-9.

    Jennie, you are such an inspiration to your family and others who are watching you during this time. I'm so thankful Toby has a mom who prays over him the way you do. God has something amazing in store for Toby.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dee,
    It was soooo good to see Toby this weekend. He is making slow progress, but its a move forward. For that I am thankful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lisa,
    Thank you for your encouragement. God is faithful and I hold to that daily.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Praying for you, for your husband, for Toby and his family, daily.
    Your faith encourages me greatly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Beth! I so appreciate your prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete