I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Ingredients to lasting fame


Delores E. Topliff
Born Frederick Austerlitz, in Omaha, Nebraska (1899). Fred Astaire started dancing when he was four. By age six, he formed an act with his sister, Adele, which became a popular in vaudeville. When she retired, Astaire made a screen test. The movie executive wrote, "Can't act, can't sing. Balding. Can dance a little." But Astaire appeared in Dancing Lady (1933), starring Joan Crawford, Clark Gable, and the Three Stooges. He's famous for movies he made with dancing partner Ginger Rogers: classics like The Gay DivorcĂ©e (1934), Top Hat (1935), and Swing Time (1936).
He said: "The higher up you go, the more mistakes you are allowed. Right at the top, if you make enough of them, it's considered to be your style." He worked hard and became famous. Sticktoitivity, otherwise known as hard work, is essential to fame.
Next let’s look at the Three Stooges. When I was 17, I was asked to make arrangements for our high school's graduation banquet. I went to Vancouver, Washington's best hotel and pushed the elevator button. When the elevator opened, I encountered the Three Stooges, who were appearing there nightly that week. At around 4 p.m., they were coming up from the basement cocktail lounge, and got off on the second floor, while I rode to the business office on the third. In our brief time together, I did not think to request their autograph. Instead I noticed that they looked old, sad, tired--not funny. When we reached their floor, the elevator door opened, closed again, and they were gone. That was one of my earliest encounters with fame. I’m not sure it changed me, except to make me wish that if I ever accomplished fame, it would be the kind I could be proud of.
What about you? Share an interesting or funny encounter you've had with the famous or infamous. Or offer your definition of fame. Tell us what you most wish to be famous for.

Final assignment? Have a great week!

5 comments:

  1. The closest I've come to someone famous is probably when I had my picture taken in front of the first house Elvis bought for his parents. It was in a normal neighborhood except for the string of cars that was always present with people craning their necks to see if they could catch a glimpse of him. If I ever make the news, I hope it's for something good, not bad...like a mug shot. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love watching Fred Astaire and Bing Crosby in The Holiday Inn, and in other movies. :) I thought he was an amazing dancer.

    My closest brush with fame would be when I was about 13 and had my picture taken with Phillip McKeon (heart throb in that day) when I walked to raise money for Muscular Dystrophy. :)

    If I am ever famous I hope it's for something good—like helping someone or for how I've treated others.

    Great post, Dee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was about fourteen, my mom took a bunch of us girls to Six Flags in St. Louis and we spotted a limo next to us, so naturally we rolled our windows down and waved like crazy until the tinted windows rolled down and waving back with the cutest grin ever was Bruce Willis! We had no idea who was behind the windows. So I like to say I took a ride with him. I mean we were in cars, going the same speed and waving to each other, right? lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate these good entries. Fun. The day will come soon when wannabees will want to have their pictures taken w/ you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had my picture taken with Jerry Jenkins once. Does that count?

    ReplyDelete