I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Pointing the Way

Delores Topliff



           On February 11th, our world lost Shirley Temple Black. Her expert singing and tap dancing in 1934's movie, "Stand Up and Cheer!" first gained her wide audience. President Roosevelt said regarding her, "When the spirit of the people is lower than at any other time during this Depression, it is a splendid thing that for just 15 cents, an American can go to a movie and look at the smiling face of a baby and forget his troubles.” I don’t think a more wholesome role model came through Hollywood. As an adult, she added a loving marriage, wonderful family, and creditable career serving her country.

Name favorite characters in fiction or history that lift your head and put spring in your step to march forward?
Some of mine are Topsy from Uncle Tom’s Cabin - Irrepressible. Facing staggering opposition, she survives and just growsKatniss Everdeen, Hunger Games - Fiercely fights injustice, hazarding everything to save her nation and loved ones, and after believing she is defeated, wins. Tom Sawyer - Makes repetitive chores fun while mastering character analysis. Eric Liddell (Chariots of Fire, with a daughter still living in Canada) set a high price on what mattered most without compromise, and saw history bend when he valued “something greater than gold.”
May God help us create characters with believable flaws who struggle and fall but rise again and change, doing in the end what they could not do in the beginning.
Just as Shirley Temple encouraged America during hard times, as we pray, write, and change ourselves, may we be pens in God’s hands recording stories that lift hearts.
What about you? Name some favorites and the changes they inspire. 

5 comments:

  1. I agree, Delores. She was amazing. One of my favorite characters in history was William Farel. He was an amazing preacher during the Reformation. Few have even heard of him, but his story is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shirley Temple was one of my favorite actresses. And the Little Rascals was my favorite show to watch on TV. I din't know how many clubhouses we had when were kids but we always started one after we watched the Little Rascals. I miss them! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, Teri, I know him as Guillaume Farel and always include him in my church hist. or Western Civ. classes--great choice. Pat, thanks for being so faithful. Come to think of it, you almost have Shirley Temple curls and are just about as sunny and encouraging. Appreciate you both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delores, I am hard pressed to name people who've inspired me. There are so many from history as well as men and women who've served in the armed forces, single parents raising children, grandparents raising grandchildren, and my sweet husband who loves my children as his own. And they are his now!

    Thanks for this thoughtful and fun post!


    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved your post, Delores - and so many I could choose in answer to your question. I'll name one of the first that comes to mind, and that is Amy Carmichael, missionary to India. This is one of her quotes that I try to keep before me each day: “God Hold us to that which drew us first, when the Cross was the attraction, and we wanted nothing else.”

    And thank you for sharing on my interview with Pat this morning, Delores. She is a very special lady indeed!

    ReplyDelete