I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Does a Writer's Life Change After Publication?

by Patrica Bradley

A few questions I've been asked since my debut book, Shadows of the Past, came out:

How is writing different since you have a contract?

I'm more focused and now write at least 8 hours a day--deadlines will do that for you. Before if I wrote 3 days a week, I was satisfied. The only deadlines I had were the ones I imposed on myself. And that's something I would encourage any writer to do--decide how many words you are going to write a day or a week or even a month and then meet that word count. It makes it much easier to discipline yourself for when you get that contract.

And along the same lines--Do you write every day?

If I have a deadline, I write every day, even on Sunday (after church). If I don't have a deadline looming, I still write something at least 5 days a week. Writing is not just something I love to do, it's a real job and I've found it really is important to write every day, even if it's only a paragraph.    

Are your characters based on anyone you know?

Yes and not really. Every person I meet is potentially a character in my book. Their mannerisms, the way they speak, stories they tell me--it's all fodder for a book. So be careful if you're talking to me. You might end up in a book. 

Are you famous? This one always amuses me.
No, I am not famous. Probably never will be. It's not anything I aspire to.

Is Patricia Bradley your real name?

Yes and no. Patricia Bradley is my maiden name and much easier to spell than my real name. I originally wanted to write under P. T. Bradley, but that didn't work out. As I talked with my mother about what name to use she said, "Well, I wouldn't have named you Patricia if I hadn't thought it was pretty." So that solved the question of what name I would use.

These are just a few of the questions I've been asked. If you have a question you'd like to ask, leave it in the comment box and I'll try to answer it.  



Connect with me:


Links to buy book:
Available at CBD: http://ow.ly/qIx2k 
Amazon: http://ow.ly/qIx90 

8 comments:

  1. Pat, it's fun to learn a little more about you, your disciplines and how you came by Patricia Bradley for your writing name. How special. :) Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jeanne. Writing is a lot harder than I ever believed it would be. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this, Pat, and am so proud of you. Thanks for taking time to post here when you're under deadline. We APPRECIATE, and APPRECIATE YOU.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dee. I did get one deadline off this morning!! Now going for the next one. lol

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing the personal side of Patricia Bradley. I too wondered about the name change. :-) Can't wait to read your next book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jennie. For some reason I always wanted to write under my maiden name. It does make it a little harder for people who know me to find my book, but they are learning. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pat, I too enjoyed learning more about you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoyed this post! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete