I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Thursday, February 20, 2014

The Mink Apron

This picture ought to raise a few questions. First of all, that’s my sister-in-law, Mary Smith, in the picture—so what’s that Canadian relative doing in Texas?

Next, why do I have such a fierce look on my face? I’d like to think I’m fairly mild-tempered. Why so stern with Mary?

But most of all, I’m thinking you might be wondering—what is she wearing?

Well, Canadian Mary came to Texas for a visit not long ago, and, as usual, after supper, she hopped up to do the dishes. We knew we would have to go to ridiculous lengths to keep her out of the dishpan, so I grabbed a mink apron and tied it on her.

Yes, I said a mink apron.  And Mary couldn’t possibly risk soiling the apron, so we successfully kept her from doing the dishes that night.

Now to the biggest question of all: who in the world has a mink apron?

Well, that brings us to another unique individual, my daughter-in-law, Pamela Smith. Believe me, she is just as amazing and exceptional as a mink apron would suggest.

Last question. What does this have to do with the Ponderers? We’re writers. If we sent in a book with a character wearing a mink apron, most likely an agent or editor would tell us to take it out. Too unrealistic. Fiction has to be believable!

What about you? Have you ever seen a mink apron before? What would you think if you read about it in a book?


7 comments:

  1. I think the story of the mink apron is quite unique, and with the right setup, it would add color to a scene or story. If there's good motivation for having something in a story, then it won't seem so out of place. Love this story, Teri!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess see a picture of it makes it a little more believable!

      Delete
  2. I loved this, Teri. And how you surpassed your obstacle and kept your SIL out of the kitchen. :) Although, I bet it only worked once. I have never heard of a mink apron. What a unique gift and story element. :) If I was to read about one in a book, I'd want to know more. My first thought was someone could put it on pretending to want to help but using it as an excuse to get out of kitchen work. :) Fun post today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeanne! It takes something like a mink apron to keep our dear Mary out of the dishes!

      Delete
  3. Teri, I love this. Now to figure out how to get it in a story. lol. You look fabulous, stern glance and all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To tell the truth, Pat, it was pure acting on my part!

      Delete
  4. Sorry, w/ brand new grandbaby in hosp. w/ jaundice & rest of her family staying here, I didn't see your post until today! No, I haven't seen or heard of a mink apron, but it would be a show stopper I'd like to see in a book. Thanks for a fun post & I love the expressions! (and you)

    ReplyDelete