I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

The Long Road to Overnight Success...Winner-Jeanne Takenaka!


by Patrica Bradley

If you have a dream, don't give up. Don't ever give up. 

I started writing 34 years ago. Yep. You read correctly--34 years. In that time, I had approximately ?? rejections. I can't really tell you how many rejections I've had because I didn't keep score. And I didn't keep score because I knew one day I'd submit to an editor or an agent and they would say yes. 

I don't know how I knew that, just that I did. It helped along the way that Woman's World bought 3 of my short stories and Country Living bought a couple of articles. 

I know you didn't ask for my advice, but guess what? I'm giving it anyway. :-)

If you have a dream, lay it on God's altar--make sure this dream is in His plan for you. Ask Him, He'll let you know. Once you're sure you are on God's track, do the hard work. In my case that meant learning the craft of writing. For you it might be returning to school for your degree. Whatever it is, you will have to sacrifice something to make the dream come true...time, money, energy...

And keep at it. Don't believe the naysayers who say your dream is pie-in-the-sky. You know better. Believe that if God gave you this dream, He will not snatch it away. Believe in yourself, believe that you can realize this dream. But at the same time, remember everything is in God's timing, and if you wait on Him, He will give you more than you can ask or imagine. I just wanted one book published. He gave me a three-book deal. 

See for yourself. My first book, Shadows of the Past, just released last week; the second book in the Logan Point Series releases in October. I'm working on the 3rd book and today, I received word my publisher wants a fourth book in the series. Can you see me Happy Dancing? 

What dream do you have? And what do you need to do to make it come true? Leave a comment and if we have 10 readers to comment I'll randomly pick one person to receive a copy of Shadows of the Past. Must be 18 and have a US address. 


Twenty years of family secrets are about to be revealed when a criminal profiler follows a lead on her missing father’s whereabouts


Psychology professor and criminal profiler Taylor Martin prides herself on being able to solve any crime, except the one she wants most desperately to solve—the disappearance of her father twenty years ago. When she finally has a lead on his whereabouts, Taylor returns home to Logan Point, Mississippi, to investigate. But as she is stalking the truth about the past, someone is stalking her.


Nick Sinclair pens mystery novels for a living, but the biggest mystery to him is how he can ever get over the death of his wife—a tragedy he believes he could have prevented. With his estranged brother the only family he has left, Nick sets out to find him. But when he crosses paths with Taylor, all he seems to find is trouble.



Places where you can find Shadows of the Past:
Available at CBD: and Amazon:  and B&N:  

30 comments:

  1. I love your experience & advice--it resonates. I'm taking it to heart and keeping on keeping on. I used to think I couldn't write articles--have had lots of success w/ that now. On to constraining novel characters to stay within the plot's confining traces--instead of running away like the wild horses they are. Crack that whip, or leap before them and offer carrots. They all have stories clamoring to be told, but only a few can hold the stage at one time. Okay, deep breath, got this. Onward and upward!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Dee, onward and upward! You have so many stories to tell. Sometimes it's hard to choose which one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful words, Pat. It's always good to remember that if I'm going to pursue a dream, it will require sacrifice. And, if this dream is one GOD gave me, then the sacrifice is worth it, worth the effort, the "no" to coffee time, setting aside other things to work on this dream. Thank you for the reminder of this truth.

    I think the unspoken themes for today are dreams and God's timing, this is the second blog I've read discussing these topics. :) Thanks for this, Pat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad it blessed you Jeanne! Can't wait to see your story in print!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woohoo!! Congratulations, Pat!!! So pleased to hear they want to add a fourth book to the series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me, too, Sandra. It was whew moment. :-) Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this post, Pat. As you probably know, it hit home. I am so excited about a fourth book in this series! I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's coming Renee. But we have seasons. And sometimes your writing season comes after the children are older. Right now they are your priority and God will honor that.

      Delete
  8. Great post, Pat! Wonderful words of wisdom for anyone wanting to move into publishing. I can't count the number of times I've wanted to give up, but God's confirmation in my life and my dream pulls be back every time. Like you, one day, it will happen. God's timing is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jennie, even when we can't see it, His timing is so perfect. At no other time in my life was I ready for what He had in store. :-)

      Delete
  9. Congratulations on book 4, Pat!! I'm so excited to read your debut novel, and I'm thrilled it's getting good buzz!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Lisa!! And the buzz has been wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. YAY Pat, I'm so excited for you...and they want a fourth book already. That's amazing. I love your advice, too. Congrats, my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Melissa. Can't wait for Blaze's story in Here to Stay.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whoohoo! Way to go, Pat! Congratulations on the books!!! And many, many thanks for the good words about not giving up on the dreams!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teri, thank you for the encouragement you always send my way!

      Delete
  14. I am so excited for you!!! What a compliment that a publisher would ask for so many, so early. Of course as I begin reading Shadows of the Past, it's easy to see why they would.

    What an encouragement to know that you never gave up in all this time. My friends keep telling me the same thing when that, "Am I really a writer?" comes floating in. I know I am, but when bleeding on the page is more than you can bear, you question it a lot.
    Thanks for the encouragement. It was much needed today :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What Ginger said! Both the compliment for your terrific writing and for the encouragement from your wisdom.

      Congratulations on getting offered a contract for a fourth book!

      Delete
  15. So glad my post encouraged you, Ginger! Hangeth Thou in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the encouragement. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing your story! Would love to read your book. It sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Liz! I'll have the drawing tomorrow.

      Delete
  18. Elmer Medina2/12/14, 5:48 PM

    Congrats. I needed to hear this. You know I thought my writing career was over when I got mixed up with a vanity press, through my ignorance, and I wanted to quit. But many author and church friends told me not to quit and try again. Now I have another great story. I don't know what to do with it really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you thought about entering the first chapter in either the Genesis or Frasier, Elmer? That way you can get feedback. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  19. Lovely blog, Pat! My path to publication has taken many more years than I'd ever imagined it would when I was young, but I'm at peace with that, trusting I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be in my journey. Perhaps long journeys make meeting our milestones that much sweeter :) Congratulations on your debut!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you so much, Lisa. Enjoy the journey!

      Delete
  20. Thank you, Pat! And all you MBT Ponderer ladies for all you share! I appreciate you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, Pat, this is great news re a fourth book! I love to read writer success stories, especially when it is obvious they are God-directed!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Pat, I enjoyed the post and i'm thrilled to hear that you have a fourth book under contract. I love to read writer success stories, especially when they are God-directed.

    ReplyDelete