I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Would you rather run or fly?

By Jennie Atkins

I saw my first quail of spring today. They’re an odd bird. They have a plume, which my husband affectionately refers to as a “radar dish” on the top of their head. They can fly, but they choose to run, their tiny legs furiously working to get their bulky body out of the way. Later towards summer you see the parents crossing the road with a half dozen pint-sized versions of themselves. The little quail are no more than two inches tall and, like their parents, they run.

I can picture them after they’ve trekked to the side of the road dragging in a deep breath waiting for their little hearts to stop pulverizing their chest walls. Why when they could fly? They could soar above the danger that is bearing down on them, see their world from a different angle, and land in a safe haven of brush.

It made me wonder how often we as Christians run through our day, furiously working toward some goal, but never stopping to look at the world around us. How often do we fail to see God’s creation first hand, share a bit of God’s love and encouragement with others, or just stop and listen to His voice? Are we running, when God has provided a way for us to fly?

You might not see me, but I’m raising my hand here. I’m guilty as charged. I rush through my day, working, cleaning, checking in with the kiddos, and writing. I, like the quail, have put my feet in overdrive and never taken the time to “fly”.

God admonishes us to “be still and know that I am God”— not run ourselves ragged. He wants us to be like eagles and open our wings and let his bountiful breeze lift us above the mountain tops.

As writers, most of us also have a dreaded day job. So to accomplish our dreams we sometimes have to run around like the quail. But I encourage you to open your wings and let God show you what you are missing when you don’t “fly”.

Your turn.  Would you rather run?  Or fly?

16 comments:

  1. Loved this, Jennie. I'll never look at quail the same... now whenever I see them scurrying, it'll be a reminder for me to check my own heart. Thank you!

    Also~ This reminded me of (and shed new light for me on) this song, "Why Walk When You Can Fly?" : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJkLw2KSpLc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennie,

    Thanks for showing me quail in a new light. I'm often guilty of running around (sometimes in circles). But I'm going to open my eyes today and look for opportunities to fly. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to soar like the eagle. Some days it so easy to get caught up in the jungle of life that we never even lift our eyes heavenward. Great post, Jennie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course, I want to fly. Leaving tomorrow to fly to the Philippines on a mission trip, there is that heart-stopping moment when the plane strains, shudders, and then lifts. And so may we. I love this, Jennie. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennie,

    As others have stated, thank you for making me see the quail in a new light. I will take the time to soar today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jennie,

    As others have stated, thank you for making me see the quail in a new light. I will take the time to soar today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jennie,

    As others have stated, thank you for making me see the quail in a new light. I will take the time to soar today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amanda,
    Thank you. I love that song!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Roxanne,
    My prayer for you today is that you can open your wings and let Him lift you above your circumstances!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pat, We have an eagles nest up above our house, occasionally they dive down into the valley. They are beautiful. May you soar with confidence!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dee, You really are flying! I hope you have a wonderful trip and may God bless the work of your hands!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Alena,
    I pray God will lift you higher than you can imagine!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for this reminder! Funny thing is, I'm a runner...literally! I train for and run marathons! Ha ha. So because I have a day job, run, and take care of my family, I have to work hard to make time for writing. But God is good and He provides the time.

    I long to fly and God does lift me up on wings like eagles. He is faithful!!

    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jennie,

    What a wonderful picture of our lives. I run a lot. I forget to fly sometimes or maybe I just don't want to work at opening my wings. I start my day in prayer and Bible study but even that can be rushed instead of quieting myself to listen to His soft whispers. I'm so glad He is patient with me :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the surprise moments in life when without even realizing it, Jesus lifts us up to fly. His unexpected and undeserved blessings are some of the best moments in life.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think running is necessary to be able to fly. We need to gain momentum so we can lift off. God uses our running to show He's the one in charge of all flying. :)

    ReplyDelete