I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Pondering Healthy Living In A Busy Household


Pondering Healthy Living

By Alena Tauriainen

I wanted to ponder healthy living today but be forewarned I’m in a snarky mood.

I turned forty last year and well, I think there was a chemical or hormonal miscommunication with my body that told it to slow down on the whole metabolism thing.  Seriously?  I did not send the memo; somebody slipped it by me.

All the things I did before forty stopped working.  No problem I could figure this out. I am after all, a mature woman with a business and four absolutely (if slightly insane) kids ranging from ten to eighteen.  I could handle this.

Sure.

Here are some of most common suggestions:
  1. Wake up earlier - Seriously?  I average about five hours of sleep as it is.
  2.  Cut back on your caloric intake -  Have you ever run three miles or finished a sixty-minute aerobics class and NOT been hungry?
  3. Put your fork down in-between bites so your stomach has time to get the message your full.  - Who uses a fork these days?  It’s a burger or a taco on the fly.
All right, sarcasm aside here are some ideas that work for me.
1.     Accountability – If I tell my buddies what I’m doing or I plan to meet them to work-out, chances are I’m going to stick to it.
2.     Information – We live in a world of instant information. Get an app on your smart phone to track your eating or your workouts.  Runtastic is one of the apps I use to help me track work-outs. I also signed up for daily fit tips from fitnessmagazine.com
3.     Pictures.  I pulled out my honeymoon pictures on the beach in the Cayman Islands then I looked in the mirror. Talk about serious motivation. Or how about hearing your kids say, “Mom was that really you?”  Yes, you know God is into modern day miracles, that child is still living and breathing.
4.     Just Do ItYou have to decide. Only you can make it happen.
5.     Be realistic.  I will never be a size five.  Never.  But I can be healthier and leaner by eating better and exercising regularly.

Remember the best idea is the one that works. What tools or tricks have you learned to be healthier?



8 comments:

  1. I feel the same way about turning 30! (3 years ago) :) My metabolism has slowed down and just reducing calories doesn't work anymore. I've added Zumba into the mix, which I enjoy, but it's hard to get to two classes a week with a busy household of six. I'll keep plugging away. Ultimately, I want to be healthy - even if I'm not slimming down as fast as I'd like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gabe,
      Just keep at it -- steady wins the race. I may not be the most athletic but hey, I'm getting out there an moving!

      Delete
  2. Great tips, Alena!

    LOL! Loved the line: "Yes, you know God is into modern day miracles, that child is still living and breathing."

    Sad to say, all the metabolism/hormone/weight problems only get worse at 50. Thankfully, my husband likes my curves. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roxanne!

      My hubby likes my curves too, I just wish there was a little less. He's always been one of those men that buffet restaurants lose money on. It's been 21 years and he's only gained 3 inches in his waist line. Seriously.

      I can't wait to see you in Memphis!

      Delete
    2. I don't think my hubby has put on any weight. Unlike his wife. Sigh. Waving at you, Roxanne!

      Delete
  3. Alena, I loved this. I'm with Roxanne. I chortled at your line about the kid still living and breathing after the, uh, frank comment. :)

    I've got a few years on you, but my weight issues have really hit hard these last 15 months. It's humbling to realize I will probably never again be where I was 18 months ago. I love your tips. I should figure out all the benefits my new iPod can give me in the exercising realm. I'm going to check out some of those apps you've described. :)

    Oh, for the record, my doctor mentioned that studies show those who get more sleep maintain their weight better, and can even lose. When I'm sleeping more, my weight doesn't go up. Sleeping more means writing less. Sigh. Somedays, it's a trade off. :)

    I loved this post today. Thanks for sharing what you've learned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just what I needed to motivate me to do what I know I need to do! It's just so hard to turn down a crispy, dried peach fried pie! And I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but...it doesn't get any easier as you get older. lol I know.

    Great post, Alena. And with the great food you cook, I don't see how you stay slim!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm just back from Philippines, Alena, and beginning to catch up, but love this and you. Thanks for your prayers during your trip & anytime. They all worked :)

    ReplyDelete