I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Thursday, March 7, 2013

A Different Kind of Love Story

February 14th has come and gone, but this love story is timeless.

Once upon a time . . .

There was a home-schooling family with six children. Like other families, they were busy with academics, extra-curricular and church activities, chores and more.  But something was missing. In fact, someone was missing. Soon, a new baby was on the way and due the day before the twin daughters’ sixteenth birthday. Wouldn’t it be funny if he were actually born on their day too? But God gave him a birth date of his own a week early, and this family of nine settled into a routine and enjoyed the little blond-haired, blue-eyed boy added to their family.

His first year passed like a blur and then it was his sisters’ birthday. Plans were made. A cake was baked. But there was no celebration because on that day, their father went home to heaven.

The children—except for the little blond boy, who was too young to understand—mourned their great loss, but as a credit to the wonderful man their father was, they remained a strong family.  Though the mother grieved, she knew their family, even with their loss, was the only one the little boy would ever know. She was determined to give him a secure, happy home like her other children had known. So, the little blond-haired, blue-eyed boy had two big brothers, twin sisters, two even bigger brothers, and a mom who loved him very much. When he was three-year’s old, the little boy’s doctor gave him a special diagnosis. So, he attended a preschool for other special boys and girls, where their teacher told stories about families with mommies and daddies who loved each of them very much. Even though the little blond-haired boy had so many people who loved him, he began to wonder why he didn’t have a daddy like the other children in his class.

[If this were a movie instead of a blog, here’s where we’d cue in the lyrics to Brad Paisley’s 1999 tear-jerking, hit song, “He Didn't Have To Be.” If you don't remember the song, you can read the lyrics here.]

When the little boy was 4-and-a-half, his mother started dating someone who didn’t run at the thought of raising a little boy at the time when his own son was ready to graduate.

Two months after he turned five, the little boy’s mother married Steve. The boy said, “When I lived in Texas, you were Steve. Then, I moved to Florida, and now you’re Daddy.”

After seemingly endless nights of the mother tucking her child into bed alone. Now, the new man in their lives knelt by her side.

Last night, when she tucked her special little boy into bed, she told him what she’d told all her children when they were young, “Mommy loves you. Daddy loves you. But who loves you most of all?” The expected answer: “Jesus.” Instead, the special little boy said, “Daddy. I love him the best.”

The boy’s mother might have been hurt or disappointed, since she’d cared for him on her own for many years. Instead, she rejoiced. After all, Daddy was fun and made the little boy laugh. He was big and strong enough to carry the tired boy up the stairs at night. Most of all, he chose to come into the little boy’s life—and that of his older brothers, and his sisters and his even bigger brothers—even though Steve didn’t have to . . . 

But we’re so thankful he did!

. . . And they all began living Happily Ever After. 

Your turn. Tell me about someone who's unexpectedly blessed your life. 

~Roxanne Sherwood Gray




22 comments:

  1. Dear Roxanne, what a winner and heart-wrencher. What are you doing making me cry so early in the morning. How I thank God for this better and truer than fiction tale. May you write/live many more winning chapters. Miss you and am so proud of you & all. Hugs, Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like stories that make me laugh but love the ones that make me cry because they've connected with a deep place inside. So I'd be fibbing if I said I'm sorry for making you cry a little. ;-) Thanks for letting me know this story touched you. I hope your eye is healing well!

      Delete
  2. I'm with Dee. I'm sniveling and wiping tears away at your beautiful way of telling a "Daddy Story." I love what God has done and continues to do in your family my friend.

    Oh, my. Where to begin. God brought my amazing husband into my life, then added two little boys who aren't so little anymore. Since beginning my journey on the writing road, He's blessed my life with you, with other writers I've met online who became more than a picture on a blog comment--they've become friends. He blessed me with a circle of friends at church when we moved back to Colorado Springs five years ago. He blessed me with a friendship with Beth that has gone beyond the seasons. So many unexpected blessings God's given me through the people He's placed in my life.

    Loved, LOVED this post today, Roxanne. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad God gave you an amazing husband and two boys, but I think they're also pretty blessed by you. And I'm thankful you're in my life too.

      Delete
  3. Oh, my ...

    tears and more tears ...

    and I watched this a-ma-zing happily ever aftering unfold ...
    and danced at your wedding -- and watched Peter dance too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it was a long trip and we hardly got to talk to one another, but I'm so thankful you were at my wedding. Most of all, I'm so thankful you've shared my sorrow and then my joy!

      Delete
    2. Just shared this post with Rob.
      He teared up.
      And I teared up again.
      And I remember how he wanted to come to the wedding to meet Steve ... just to be sure, you know ...
      and after he met Steve, he was.

      Delete
    3. Awww... Now you're going to make me cry!

      Delete
    4. I don't know what I'd have done without friends like you and Rob to lean on. I can't thank you enough for always being there for me!

      Delete
  4. Each time I read this (I've read it several times so far), tears fill my eyes. Roxanne, I remember your grief and giggled like teenagers when you shared about your romance with Steve. I'm so thrilled Peter has a daddy who will be such a great role model for him. What a beautiful story and family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've read this more than once! Aww...

      Your encouragement has meant more than I can say as I've traveled this journey. I really appreciate you!

      Steve is a great role model, and I can't be jealous because he's my little guy's favorite. He's mine too. ;-)

      Delete
  5. How beautiful this story is! It grabbed my heart and gave me a gentle smile as I remembered what all you went through. Anyone feeling dis-pare should read this and know God has great plans for each of us. We just need to believe and be willing to wait for HIS timing. God bless you and your wonderful family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you. The teenagers who live with us feel blessed too.

    You're right. At times it's hard to see, but God's timing and plans really are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this story and reread it through tears, and then I laughed...from joy and more than a little happy at Peter's answer. You have two winners there, Roxanne!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Steve acts like he won the lottery and wonders aloud from time to time, "How did I get to be the one God chose for this family?"

    I think God had to look far and wide to find the man who'd feel so blessed to be with us. We all won the lottery.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how this made me tear up. Love your story, Roxanne!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Melissa,

    Thanks so much. Seeing Ollie's smile and cheering his victories have caused me to shed my share of tears too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such an amazing story, Roxanne. Sometimes the best stories are the true ones! I'm so thankful God gave this to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh....who blessed my life? My 3 adopted children came into our lives years ago, and when folks said they were blessed to have us adopt them, I always replied, no, we were the ones blessed!

      Delete
    2. Teri, It was a win-win situation for all of us. Instead of marrying me and having to take on a child with special needs, Steve felt he's what sealed the deal. ;-)

      Delete
  12. Roxanne,
    I love this story because it's true! There's nothing like a true story to bring tears and gratefulness for the way God leads and loves us. What a gift you've been given.
    As for me...I'd say an unexpected blessing was meeting you. :-) We share so many similarities!!

    Love this post,
    Blessings to you and Steve,
    Debi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debi, I'm so glad we've met, and I'm really looking forward to spending more time with you!

      Delete