I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Monday, January 9, 2012

Don't miss the 2012 MBT Deep Thinkers Retreat!


Hey folks, Melissa here, and I am about to say something which makes the sad face emoticon feel woefully inadequate:

I can’t go to the 2012 My Book Therapy Deep Thinkers Retreat this February. L

See what I mean? Donald Trump would totally fire that emoticon.

But it’s true. After two years of loving every second of the MBT Deep Thinkers Retreat, this year several factors are keeping me home.

But I definitely think you should go. And here’s why:

1)   Because it’s just plain one of the best retreats ever…and in beautiful Florida of all places. The Deep Thinkers retreat is a focused, five-day workshop with the goal of helping you take your manuscript the next step toward publication. In the mornings, you’ll learn about specific topics – like emotional layering and word painting. In the afternoon, you’ll apply those lessons to your current WIP with hands-on mentoring. And in the evening, you’ll discuss publishing issues, brainstorm, etc. And then there’s the whole hanging out in Florida thing!

2)   Because if you’re from anywhere like Iowa, where winter likes to throw temper tantrums fairly regularly, there’s a very good possibility your return flight will get postponed due to weather and you’ll have to stay an extra few days in Florida. Oh snap!

3)   Because Susan May Warren and Rachel Hauck are the dynamic duo of teaching. I’m serious. They will make you think, look at your story with fresh eyes, employ new techniques and tools. It’s also quite possible they’ll make you laugh hysterically.

4)   You will meet cool people. Of all ages. From all different places. You’ll bond through both shared and varied experiences as writers. (Well, and it’s pretty much impossible not to bond when you’re sharing a bathroom.) And you’ll stay connected after the retreat. The very existence of this blog is proof.

5)   You’ll discover something new about yourself as a writer...or about your story…probably both. Both years I attended the Deep Thinkers, I really did, well, think deep. I walked away with not only renewed excitement about my story, but also my faith.

But the main reason I think you should go?

Because I can’t.

Huh?

Yep, I’m bummed I can’t make it this year, but that means there’s a spot open for someone else…someone for whom God is going to open the door. Someone God has been prompting. I pray you’ll listen to His voice, invest in your writing dream and have an amazing week.

Get all the details on the 2012 Deep Thinkers Retreat (February 24-28) here.

Are you thinking about attending the retreat? If you’ve got questions, ask in the comments and I’ll try to answer. Have you been to a My Book Therapy or other writing retreat before? How did it impact you?  

Melissa Tagg
www.melissatagg.com

28 comments:

  1. Sharing your unhappy emoticon, Melissa. I've always wished to go. I've heard great things about them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful true words, MTagg, I say while practically dripping tears. Unless my newest grandbaby arrives 2 weeks earlier than expected, due at tail end of DT, I can't be there either, but next year? I'll do my absolute best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa, so loved everything you shared, and they're so true! I learned tons at DT last year, and I have tons more to learn. I will have some fun and get some sun for you this year, okay? I'm sorr I won't get to see you and Dee (and Sandra that I won't get to meet you!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. DT is absolutely the best writer's retreat ever! It's comparable to a college course in writing... condensed into 5 days.

    The first year I learned so much, things like the 4 things all stories must have and just what an inciting incident is and so much more...and the next year I built on what I'd learned the year before.

    Deep Thinkers took my writing to a whole new level. I encourage anyone who wants to be a better writer to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you can go some year, Sandra. It's such a great retreat!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I understand the tears, Dee. I hate to miss it. BUT, a new grandbaby?! That has to beat a retreat by leaps and bounds. :) Hopefully we'll both be able to be at the '13 retreat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes, Jeanne, soak up that sun for me. I've been tempted to be all poor-me about the fact that I can't go, but then I realize, it's so much better to be excited for and with those who can go. You'll have an awesome week!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so agree, Pat, both years definitely took my writing to a new level. I think my favorite lesson was on emotional layering. That has completely impacted my writing...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sad not to go this year too! Especially after urging Suzie to go to fabulous Destin, FL, my fav place ever. (But now that I'm in Central Florida, I kinda regret that.) I agree with Pat. DT is like a college course, only I've never bonded with my fellow college classmates the way I bonded with people who share my dreams. I urge anyone who's thinking of going to just do it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am going to Deep Thinkers -- and this will be my third time attending. When I pondered not attending last year, my husband (a non-writer, mind you)looked at me and asked, "Why wouldn't you go to Deep Thinkers?" Even he had seen the value of my attending DT!
    This is one retreat I am determined to attend every year if at all possible -- for all the reasons Melissa mentioned. It's my time to focus on craft, to push myself as a writer, to bond with other writers, cheer them on ... and to let Susie and Rachel teach me and challenge me to be a better writer.
    I'm echoing Melissa's encouragement: Ya'll come!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sad you don't get to go either, Roxanne. Maybe 2013 can be a reunion year for those who've missed. :) And hopefully some new faces will have an awesome experience!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy you get to go, Beth. You're a vital part of retreats...are you going to play paparazzi again? :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like we are planning a 2013 reunion as so many of us can't attend this year! I'm guessing ~1 week post baby isn't the best time to go on a writers retreat to Florida.

    I think my hubby would not be so thrilled to be left with her (he's a little concerned about what to actually DO with her), and I think Susie and Rach might find it distracting if I brought my screaming me-mee along! :)

    Soooo, next year it is. But I did get to go to the first DT, and if you can go, you'd be CRAZY not to!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would love to be attending Deep Thinkers this year. I learned so much from the last two years I've attended. Unfortunately unexpected circumstances will keep me homebound instead of sunning myself in Destin, Fl. DT is an amazing retreat. I'm truly hoping to attend next year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, Amy, I think you're making a very wise decision not to attend one week after HAVING A BABY! :) We're all so excited for you and Gregg!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry you won't be able to attend, Lisa. I hope to see you there in 2013! :) Well, I mean, hopefully I'll see you much sooner than that (2012 ACFW anyone?!), but again in Florida in '13. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I cant say enough about these retreats! If you can only go to one, go to a Susie May Warren retreat! You get more than your money's worth.

    ReplyDelete
  18. No kidding MTagg!
    I listened to the recording of it and picked up things that I missed!

    Loved it!

    Alena T.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Me too! And...I loved your cooking at the retreat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. You know, M-Tagg, if you can't make the retreat, you could still come to Florida to warm your cold Iowa toes sometime. A mini-reunion in Orlando? :-)
    It really was an awesome retreat. Not going to make it this year, either, but that leaves another open spot for a new incredible experience for someone!

    ReplyDelete
  21. How I wish I could go! But those who do go won't be disappointed!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such a good idea, Jenness. And I can usually get pretty reasonable plane tickets from Des Moines to Florida. Hmm...thinking, thinking...:) A mini-reunion would rock!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm sorry you can't go, Teri, but I'm so excited you've been wading back into the writing waters. :) You're so right - anybody who makes it to Deep Thinkers will have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Well, I understand the ACFW conference will be in Dallas next! Ya'll come!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Melissa, I know how you feel. That was me last year, but I'm happy to say I am going this year! My hubby insists I go, so this lady is practically packed!!! Will miss you and the others! I'll soak up enough sun and Suzie for all of you!

    ReplyDelete