I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Monday, December 26, 2011



Question.
What do you want God to say when you arrive in heaven?
What do you want your children, spouse, family and friends to say about you?
Although this is not a traditional “goal” question, the answer tells what’s most important to you.
Focus on those things to accomplish this year.
For me, I want God to say, “Well done, good and faithful servant. You were faithful to run your race with endurance. You raised your children showing them to love me. You loved your spouse, my son, with all your heart. You nurtured the gifting’s and talents I put in you. You were a witness in the quietness of your walk and service to me.
I want my children to say, Mom loved God, us and loved to laugh. We had fun together. Trust me that alone will be a miracle, since right now my mantra is, “Finish what you start!” and, “Who left the kitchen a mess?
So, what’s important to me?
Time with my children. One of my goals: to finish my degree. While it’s important, I have to temper it with my desire to raise my kids for God. So, instead of taking a full course load, I will only take six hours.
Time to minister to others. Instead of administering and teaching in Nursery I & II, I work at the Latte Bar and serve as a Prayer Partner. It still allows me to still serve, and pray for others but the additional time commitment is minimal.
Time with my husband. While he appears to be this guy that can do anything, he does need me. Especially as we have a family business to run. Always easy? NO. Worth it? Yes.
Time to share gifting’s and talents. God has given me the desire to help people and make them smile. It’s in the little things. He’s also placed in me a desire to share the gospel through stories. To do this, I need time. So I say “No” often. Not always easy, but definitely necessary.
Did you notice anything in common? TIME. We all have the same amount of it, and we must all choose wisely on how we spend it.
2011 is almost in your rear view mirror and 2012 is in front of you. What’s important to you? How will you accomplish it? What can you do different this year to help make it easier to accomplish? What tools will you need? What can YOU change to make your goals a reality?
My friend Beth Vogt’ wrote about focusing on a “theme” for the year, check it out at:http://mbtponderers.blogspot.com/2011/12/dont-make-new-years-resolutions-choose.html.
Blessings!
Alena Tauriainen

9 comments:

  1. Alena, what a perfect blog for the last Monday of the year. Time is indeed a precious commodity. One that I want to use wisely, but it is so hard to say no to worthwhile projects! I have to keep asking myself, "Does God want me to do this task, or am I robbing someone else of His blessing by running in front of them?"
    If I say yes to every project that crosses my path there will be precious little time left to write! Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pat,
    I totally understand. Before school and my writing, I spent so many hours at church volunteering. I miss it, but it was one of the sacrifices I had to make. Saying "no" is still really hard for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alena, love this post. Such good questions you raise! I seem to have the most difficult time controlling the time God gives me each day. I am purposing to use it well in 2012, to be the wife, mom, friend God has created me to be. To spend my time each day pursuing what God has for me that day. Not wasting it when I'm tired is my biggest challenge.

    My hope, like you, is that when I see God face to face, He will say, "Well done, good and faithful servant....." Thanks for sharing these thoughts today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeanne!
    Good to know I'm not the only one struggling. There is strength in praying for the success for our friends!

    Blessings and Success to you in 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It would probably be rude to simply say, "Ditto," but that's how I feel.

    When I arrive in Heaven, I want to be wrung out--meaning I've used up everything I have to give to God and others. I want God to be pleased by the work I've done. I want to leave a legacy of love, compassion and encouragement to others. I want my family to have wonderful memories of how much I loved them and sacrificed for them. I want them to share that same love with others.

    Lovely post, Alena.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa,

    Having been on the receiving end of your compassion and encouragement, I'd say you are well on your way to achieving your life goal!

    Blessings!
    Alena T.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Time ... such a vital commodity ... and I often seem to run short of it.
    Hence, I'm finally reading your post at 10:08 PM!
    My word for the year?
    Trust.
    I want to trust God more. I studied that word today and learned it means: to be bold, to be confident, to even be careless (I think of that as care-less.).
    And I need to apply trust to all my relationships: with God, with my husband, with my children, with my friends.
    Thanks for the thought-provoking post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah Beth!

    I love that! Trust. I think you should write a blog on it, the definitions themselves are thought provoking!

    Blessings my friend!
    Alena T.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alena, I can't believe I missed this important post on the day it appeared either--representative of how recent days have been.
    I cheer you on in every well-chosen goal you mention and know you will cross the finish line w/ much to show for it in every area.

    ReplyDelete