I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Monday, March 28, 2011

Grabbing the "Goodie" Out of Today--No Matter What Today Holds

Ever have one of those days when things weren't clicking?

Last Monday was such a day for me.

I couldn’t find the running shoes I am forced to wear. When did I put them under the sofa anyway?!

Then out the door I flew, only to sit in the exact same spot for 21 minutes in the biggest traffic jam to hit Orlando in quite a while.

I couldn’t find my notebook … my office lifeline. No problem. I have an electronic copy of what I needed for the meeting I had to get to in three minutes. But, I couldn’t log into my network.

What’s worse, I just didn’t feel good. I’m rarely sick, but that day I felt puny. I wanted to cash in my ticket and go home to bed. Instead, I went to lunch and called a friend. I’d like to say I called to encourage her and to speak words of truth and wisdom into her life. Ahhh … wouldn’t that be oh so noble of me?! Truth is, I had the mulligrubs and I wanted to shout it out to the world. She got an ear full of my rotten day.

My dear, patient friend let me spew out all manner of woe-is-me. Then she gave me one line to describe her day. She runs an in-home daycare and matter-of-factly said, "Well, I bet on your job today you haven’t had to say, 'Please stop licking your feet.'"

You know, when I collected myself from my fit of hysterical laughter, I realized she was right. I was comparing my day to … well … perfection. I was focused on the parking lot on the interstate. I let the funk of a blue Monday roll over me like a giant wave. It crashed my attitude and I landed slap-dab in the middle of stinkin’ thinkin’!

I took control of my attitude and committed to making sure I grabbed the goodie out of the rest of Monday. I determined to write my very best, even if it that day's best wasn't my all time greatest prose. I wasn’t drowning. I only felt like I was. My new and improved attitude became my life preserver. I would survive the day!

Reba J. Hoffman

9 comments:

  1. Perfect for a Monday, Reba!
    Nobody's licking any feet around here--so it's going to be a good day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've made my day, Reba! Like Beth, nobody's licking any feet here either, so it's all good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reminder that the day isn't as bad as we think it is. I teach high school so I can't be completely confident that there won't be any feet licking. One never knows!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this, Reba! And like Beth said, it's perfect for a Monday.

    And...how could anybody possibly have a bad day after seeing your life jacket photo?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reba, just seeing this photo brought a laugh out loud to my day. Thanks! :) Thanks for the reminder about attitude. With my kiddos, I certainly have days when I need it. :) This morning began in a testy way, but it's getting better, with God's help.
    Thank goodness for friends who can help us re-align our perspectives, eh? :) Thanks for the exhortation to write (dare I even say, LIVE?) our best, even when our days aren't going the best. :)
    You're wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You wouldn't want to lick my feet, or most I've seen in the last 13 days, but they are beautiful feet of Filipino people and children and of the people serving/encouraging them. We found hot running water 3 days ago and REJOICED. I'm very short of sleep but will begin to catch up soon. Thanks, Reebs. Still no carved sheep there, but wonderful inexpensive gifts to delight my grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, too funny! Just what I needed on a Monday. BTW, I love the photo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the reminder to stop dwelling on the inconveniences of life, and to start being more aware of the gifts God gives us along the way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post Reba! You always make me laugh!

    ReplyDelete