I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Monday, November 9, 2015

Author Angela Bell Visits the Ponderers!

Tell us a little about yourself, Angela.
I am a 21st century young lady with 19th century sensibilities. I currently reside in the southern most region of Texas with my dear family, kitty Lord Sterling, pup Mr. Darcy, and kitty Lizzie Bennett. The latter of which have yet to agree about anything. My daily activities consist of reading voraciously, drinking copious amounts of tea, and writing letters by hand with a fountain pen.

What genre are your books?
One might describe my fictional scribblings as Historical Romance or as Victorian History and Steampunk Whimsy in a Romantic Blend. (For those who aren’t familiar with the term, Steampunk is Victorian Sci-Fi/Fantasy. Think Jules Verne. Clockworks and steam-power with a dash of imagination.)

What draws you to this genre?
I’ve always been interested in history, and I love to continually be in the practice of learning new things, so the Historical genre was a way to combine history with my passion for writing. I’m drawn to the Victorian Era specifically because it appeals to my old-fashioned sensibilities and love of fancy fripperies and everything British. Chivalry, gorgeous hats, and English manors. I’m also fascinated by the technological advancement during the Industrial Revolution, which is where I incorporate my Steampunk.

I’m drawn to Steampunk because of the genre’s whimsy and creativity. It offers an opportunity to insert humor, fun, and eccentricity into the stanch Victorian society. A juxtaposition I love to play with! For now, the Steampunk elements in my stories are minimal and grounded in historical fact. But in the future, I’d like to bring those elements to the surface and make them more even more whimsical.



What inspired your novella The Substitute Bride, featured in The Lassoed by Marriage Romance Collection?
The initial idea for The Substitute Bride was a Victorian Era retelling of the Biblical, bride-switch story of Rachel and Leah. Once I started delving into the story though, I found myself being quite inspired by my favorite fairytale, Beauty and the Beast.

Give us an insight into your main characters. What do they do that is so special?
·      My heroine, Miss Gwen Bradbury, is a book-enthused merchant’s daughter who has taught herself how to mend and bind books. A skill which becomes essential to the story. My hero, Lord Elliot Carlyle, is an English Baron with a passion for automata. He has invented and built a variety of clockwork-driven, automaton animals.

Which actor and actress would you like to see playing the lead characters?
Having one of my books made into a mini-series by the BBC is a somewhere-over-the-rainbow dream of mine! For my hero, Elliot, I’d choose Richard Armitage from the BBC’s the period drama North & South. And for my heroine, Gwen, I would pick Felicity Jones from the BBC’s latest production of Northanger Abbey.

What are you working on at the minute?
·      Another romantic Victorian Era novella which will be featured in a compilation from Barbour Publishing next summer.

For your own reading, do you prefer e-books or traditional paper/hard back books?
I consider myself a hybrid reader, dabbling in books and e-books alike. I have several e-books on my iPhone at present. However, I will never give up my bookshelves, bookends, or bookmarks. I will never completely forsake physical, real, honest-to-goodness, hold-in-your-hands books. Books, with their pages and ink, will always be my first love.

What book/s are you reading at present?
·      Medieval fairytale retelling The Golden Braid by Melanie Dickerson, devotional Simply Tuesday: Small-Moment Living in a Fast-Moving World by Emily P. Freeman, and a book first published in 1860 The Ladies’ Book of Etiquette and Manual of Politeness by Florence Hartley.

How can readers discover more about you and you work?
They can stroll over to my cyber-space parlor, www.AuthorAngelaBell.com. Once there they can peruse and subscribe to my monthly blog, 21st Century Victorian Lady, where I post about all things old-fashioned, Victorian, and British. They can also find links to my Pinterest and Facebook Fan page. 

Where can we buy your book?

The Lassoed by Marriage Romance Collection which features my novella, The Substitute Bride releases on January 1, 2016 and is already available at most online retailers. The Books page on my website has links to Barns & Noble, CBD, and my author page on Amazon where the paperback can be pre-ordered today.

From Teri: Many of you remember Angela from past Ponderer blogs. When she was a teenager, her mother told me someone told her to forget writing because it's two hard to get published. After a little righteous anger, I agreed to teach her a few things I had learned through the years. One of my best decisions ever! 

6 comments:

  1. Great to hear of your interests and good steps forward. Wishing you many more. Thanks for visiting us :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Delores! Thrilled to be here with the Ponderers once more. :-)

      Delete
  2. Great interview - I can't wait to see your story in January!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Regina. I can't wait to see my story either! In print, I mean. I've been keeping an eagle-eye on our mailbox since late October. :-) Hopefully, my copies will arrive soon.

      Delete
    2. I'm so excited! Wish you were here to do a signing!

      Delete
  3. So proud of you!! Can't wait to read your story!

    ReplyDelete