I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Quick and Dirty Grammar


Heidi here. So, I consider myself to be fairly grammar savvy. I’d say I was a card-carrying member of the Grammar Police, but recently I’ve decided it is not my job to make sure the rest of the world understands how to grammar correctly. (And yes, I did just use “grammar” as a verb.) Besides, unless I am absolutely positive I’ve not made any mistakes in my own writing, I have no business pointing fingers.

That being said, I still want to do everything in my power to be sure my own writing is as grammatically correct as humanly possible. In my effort to avoid drawing the unwanted--and often pernicious--attention of the most zealous of Grammar Police Officers, I’ve found a secret weapon that helps me to grammar with near-perfection.

I’m not sure a day goes by that I don’t make at least one visit to the Grammar Girl. Grammar Girl’s real name is Mignon Fogarty, and she is best known for her “Quick and Dirty Grammar Tips.” She calls her website, "Your friendly guide to the world of grammar, punctuation, usage, and fun developments in the English language." 

If you are unfamiliar with this amazing young woman, I will be your new best friend for introducing you to her, because if you are a writer, she will also be your new best friend.

Whether you get her books or you visit her website, you will find incredibly helpful tips or explanations for tricky grammatical issues such as “affect vs.effect”  or  “further vs. farther”  as well as punctuation helps (such as proper use of terminal punctuation and parenthesis). She also offers explanations on the correct use of phrases (“Deep-seeded or Deep-seated”) or when to use “i.e. or e.g.”  In addition to explaining the hows and whys of correct usage, she also includes clever little ways to remember her tips. Honestly, she's bailed me out of some pretty dicey grammar situations!

I could go on and on about how great she is. Or, I could send you her direction and let you discover her plethora of grammar information. Or, I could jumpstart your Grammar Girl education by offering you my Top 5 Favorite Grammar Girl Episodes!

                    5.) Split Infinitives 

                    4.) Ending a Sentence With a Preposition 

                    3.) Lay Versus Lie 

                    2.) Who Versus Whom (Part 1) 
                         WhoVersus Whom Advanced 



                    1.) The Top 10 Grammar Myths 


And hey, if grammar isn’t your thing, the Quick and Dirty Tips website also offers tips from The Money Girl, The Modern Manners Guy, The Get-it-done Guy, The Mighty Mommy, and The Tech Talker.

Your turn: Do you have a Grammar Pet Peeve? Do you have a Grammar Achilles Heel?

9 comments:

  1. I had not heard of her and that is good to know. Thanks for the introduction, & I love your sense of humor (& you!)
    Thanks, Heidi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dee! I'm so glad I could be the one to introduce the two of you! I go to her for all those tricky grammar situations--the ones I don't use often enough to have memorized (like "who's" and "whose"). She's fun; I think you'll like her sense of humor as well

      Delete
  2. Nerd out alert! That went quite well with my morning coffee, thank you very much. A little Grammar Girl a day keeps the Grammar Police away... and entertains certain English major wannabes. Great resource, Heidi. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bernadette!! Yay, thanks for commenting! I'm a total grammar nerd... And she's so informative AND entertaining, it's hard to only read one! I probably read 20 just to do this blog post. Yes, writing this blog post is the reason I spent over an hour reading/listening to Grammar Girl posts. ;) Enjoy!

      Delete
  3. Love this post and I will be visiting her blog regularly! My pet peeve is people who are afraid to say "me"/ As in "this is for you and me." Instead they say for you and I.
    Grr!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?!?! If I'm unsure about I/me usage, I always do the "just me" test...as in, if I take out the other people, would it be I or me? "This is for I" is obviously not right! I hope you continue to enjoy her--she's a huge help...to you and ME!

      Delete
  4. I am so checking her out again. Forgot how good she is :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I could remind you that she's out there, Ginger! I bought her "Quick and Dirty Grammar " book on Audible and I enjoy listening to her read it. I've also used her to help with teaching home school grammar. She's awesome!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete