I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Why God Asks Us to Lay Down Our Dreams

You’ve been dreaming about it again, haven’t you? Publication, speaking engagments, awards and accolades. “Just wait until I get published! Than watch and see what happens.” 

We’ve all been there. 

Whether its a cherished gift we've hoped for at Christmas time or that dream job. We've all gotten stars in our eyes over something at least once in our lives. 

Let's face it. It’s amazing when a dream comes true. But what about those dreams God placed deep inside our hearts that haven't come true yet? 

Be honest with yourself. You're disappointed aren't you? 

Well what if I told you that God placed those dreams in your heart because He intends for them to come to pass.

Yes, He does. But here's the thing. Not at the cost of you.

If our dreams are paramount in our lives, then they have become idols, things that take precidence. We think about it all day, whittle at it, sort it, all trying to figure out how to get 
it to work. Many times we lose sleep because, let's face it, if we don't worry about it no 
one else will. Right?

The plain truth is:

“If you love your father or mother more than you love me, you are not worthy of being mine; or if you love your son or daughter more than me, you are not worthy of being mine. If you refuse to take up your cross and follow me, you are not worthy of being mine. If you cling to your life, you will lose it; but if you give up your life for me, you will find it. (‭Matthew‬ ‭10‬:‭37-39‬ NLT)

I used to dream about seeing my books in print and had so many stars in my eyes that rejection letters would leave me feeling worthless for days. Funny how I took my identity from those letters.


I wasn’t ready. I was losing myself. Laying down my life for the idols of, Publication and Recognition.

It took time to learn how to lay it down. One page, one moment at a time, trusting that He would be faithful.

Publication is nearer now than ever before. But I don't worry about it, because it is not my focus. Doing what I see the Father do and saying what I hear the Father say, is my focus. Publication is a result of my diligence in perfecting my craft and not the end all be all of 
writing. It is not even the finish of the race. It is merely one of the milestones along the 

way. There is a timing for these things and God's timing is perfect.




Here’s something to think about:

Joseph-- had dreams that were fulfilled in time, but not until after many trials and testing of his faith.

Abraham--had a son even when the time for having them had passed both he and his wife. And then he was asked to give up this son. But he received him back from God whole (Genesis 17, Genesis 22

Israel--went into the promised land but not until all the disobedient ones or unbelieving 
ones had perished so their infectious unbelief would not be passed on to the next generation. (Numbers 13)

David--became king but not at the expense of his predecessor, Saul. He refused to take the easy way even though Saul had been delivered into his hands more than once. He waited on the Lord to fulfill the dream in its right season. Side note: Saul was delivered into Davids hands and we might take that as permission to kill our Sauls off in our lives, but 
David understood something about taking matters into his own hands. "I will not touch God's anointed" . (1Samuel 24) 



Ginger R. Takamiya


6 comments:

  1. Ginger,

    Great ideas to ponder. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so agree with your post, Ginger. We want to run ahead of God. Psalm 37:4 tells us if we delight in Him, he will give us the desires of our heart. Then...in verse 7 it says to "wait patiently on the Lord."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Ginger. Appreciate your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, Ginger. Appreciate your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I missed this Tues. but appreciate it today. Thanks for such focused truths, Ginger.

    ReplyDelete