I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

A Wedding in our Family!

When your only daughter begins to plan her wedding, you tend to have all things bridal on your mind! We're thinking about cakes, flowers, venues, invitations, showers, registries...oh my! And then big one--the dress. We did have fun with that one. (I'll be back someday with a picture!)

Then there's wishes, dreams, and ever so many decisions. So many choices, in fact, that the wedding planner warned my daughter to stay off of Pinterest for two months before the wedding!

But I keep thinking of the more important issues. How Christian counselors remind us of things like "love is a verb" and "communicate your feelings to your spouse". How can my daughter and her fiancé keep their romance alive?

And I've contemplated weddings in the Bible: the touching stories of Abraham and Sarah,  Isaac and Rebecca, Boaz and Ruth and many more. I even wondered once if so many wedding plans were Biblical...but, of course, they are. Revelation speaks of the marriage supper of the Lamb and how "the wife has made herself ready".  I like to think that the Lord is smiling down upon the preparations.

I can't reveal much yet, but my daughter, Sarah, doesn't just do everything the traditional way...at least not to this old-fashion mother of hers! And I'm thankful for that. She's grown into a strong woman who knows what she wants and what she doesn't. It's helped her make choices like saying "yes" to the young man who proposed to her in front of a house full of relatives!

How about you? Have you seen some non-traditional ideas at weddings recently? Or maybe you've read a great book lately about romance or a wedding. Tell me about them!






7 comments:

  1. Until the day I got married I was dreaming of my wedding. I remember asking my mother once, "What do you dream about, because you are already married?"
    She told me that she dreams about a lot of things and now that I am a mother of eligible aged kids I can see what my mother was talking about. I dream about a lot of things too. Mostly I dream about my children finding the special person that God has smiled upon to be theirs for the rest of their lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing, Ginger, how much better we understand our mothers once we get older!

      Delete
  2. My niece got married in her cowboy boots. That a a friend's son who got married on the beach is about as wild as my friends and family get. Wishing your daughter the best, and I know you, so I know Christ will be a part of her marriage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've see cowboy boots at a wedding reception, but not at the wedding, Pat! And I do trust Christ will be part of her marriage. The young man is amazing.

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful occasion for a beautiful tender-hearted and lovely inside and out dtr. Very happy for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Went to,a wedding this past week where the couple used a world globe for their wedding sign in book. They met on the mission field. Wedding invitations were made to look like passports.
    I'm having fun helping my son and his future bride with their wedding plans for July 11th.

    ReplyDelete