I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Why Does a Writer Write?

Hope is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune without words, and never stops at all. ~ Emily Dickinson

As I pondered this post, I thought of all the reasons I write, and all the answers I've gotten over the years when I ask writer friends why they write.

  •  I can't not write
  • The stories just have to come out
  • It's what God wants me to do
  • To tell a story
  • Because I have these characters in my head telling me their stories

And these are just a few. I can also state a few things that are not reasons writers write. 
  • For the money - if I take all the hours I've spent writing, I figure I may make a quarter an hour. Maybe. 
  • Fame
  • Prestige
  • Book signings
The four mentioned above are perks to writing sometimes, but I don't think any serious writer ever started writing for those reasons. No, I think most writers write because they love to tell stories, and not just any story but stories of hope. Writers want their words to make a difference in this world. 

Once I received an email from a reader who said she struggled with the same thing my heroine struggled with, and reading about how my heroine dealt with the problem helped her. And not just her, but because she now had closure, her whole family was going to be better off. I couldn't keep from crying. 

And my heart sang with the words: That's why I write.

If you are a writer, leave a comment, telling why you write. If you are a reader, have you ever read a book that helped you deal with something in your life?
Patricia Bradley
www.patriciabradleyauthor.com
http://mbtponderers.blogspot.com/
Follow me on Twitter: @PTBradley1
Follow me on FaceBook: www.facebook.com/patriciabradleyauthor

Shadows of the Past - Revell February 2014 
A Promise To Protect - Revell October 2014
Matthew's Choice - Heartwarming September 2014
Google Patricia Bradley for my books

9 comments:

  1. Why do I write?

    I have no idea. I used to think that there was some grand purpose, some sublime motivation, some mercenary calling...but all of these were poses I struck, depending on how I felt at the time.

    I don't know why I write. I just write, and that has to be explanation enough.

    Though I do wonder how it will go over when I'm invited onto Oprah's show.

    If I may be a reader, too, I found my soul by reading Al Sever's "Xin Loi, Viet Nam".

    (Yes, it's Viet Nam, not Vietnam. It means 'Far South', so South Viet Nam was, weirdly, South Far South. Which beats North Far South, I guess.)

    http://blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.com/2014/08/goodbye-robin-but-we-really-dont-care.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you write to understand things, Andrew. And in doing so, you help others to understand. Thanks for gracing my post with your words.

      Delete
  2. This is true and so much fun, Pat. I'm very glad to know you and see these points happening in your life--I learn much from you. And you once said to me something like, "If you can not write, do it"--and I can't. Wishing you much forward success and influence with readers needing truth and humor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true Dolores :-)

      Delete
    2. Aww, thank you so much, Dee!~ I think I heard Chip MacGregor say that once. And you have so much to share, so keep writing!

      Delete
  3. I remember the day I gave up writing because I knew my writing was not pleasing to God. I vowed I would never write again until I could glorify Him with my writing. Then one day several years later, I wanted to write a Valentine's Day story for my husband. As the words flowed out onto the page I realized, "oh my God! This is still inside of me!" Two years later, God gave writing back to me. And that story I started for Valentine's Day? That was the beginning of my first novel. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Ginger, I thinks sometimes God takes our writing away for a season. I know he did me. You have such a wonderful voice...keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm one of those who can't not write. Even when I think I'm done, the stories continue in my head!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely, Teri! Oh, and congratulations on Angela's contract--your interest and encouragement and coaching was a big help to her!

    ReplyDelete