I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

The Words of our Heart

By Jennie Atkins

I was flying back from Alaska last month and we were going over a large inland lake.  I could see a boat in the middle, its wake visible from where I was 30,000 feet plus above the ground. I could see where the boat had traveled the length of the lake, its wake visible from the air, even if the swell of the waves had already dissipated on top.

It made me think about how much our lives and the choices we make affect those around us. How long after we’ve made a decision, is the wake of that choice is still churning—creating a ripple effect in the lives of others.

As a writer, my words have an impact on my readers and hopefully will continue to do so in the years to come. What I put on Facebook and twitter, will be there f-o-r-e-v-e-r.  What I put out online stays online, for anyone to see today, tomorrow, and next year, if they dig deep enough.

I want to be one of God’s instruments, used to spread his word.  But the responsibility comes with a heavy load. I often ask myself if I am truly honoring God. And, I am ashamed to admit that I often mess up.

Psalm 19:14 states:  May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.

My words might be on paper, and the meditation of my heart may go forth in my stories. I pray they are God’s words and that I let Him guide my message.

7 comments:

  1. Jennie, this is such a great reminder. So many times I've seen people air their dirty laundry on Facebook and wondered if they realized the impression they're leaving behind of themselves. We're human and screw up. We say things we may regret, but then we may need to humble ourselves and apologize. That shows our heart's intent to live for God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God knows we're human...its the ability to apologize afterwards that makes us stand out.

      Delete
  2. I love beautiful observations like this that are then linked to lasting truth. Wonderful, and thanks, Jennie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennie, you not only gave us an important reminder, but you gave it with poignant words! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I ever aired the family's dirty linen in public, my mama would have KILLED me. And you are so right. Like that wake you saw from 30,000 feet up, our lives leave a wake...and we have to be careful that what we say or do is helpful rather than hurtful. Great post, Jennie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful post, Jennie. And profound.

    ReplyDelete