I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Kintsukuroi - More beautiful for having been broken

Delores E. Topliff


Thank you, Pinterest, for this image and definition with a beauty that resonates.

Biblical Jacob knew this experience after wrestling with God and being broken, limping, to receive a new name as Israel, a prince having power with Godfar more effective.

Thirty years ago I was a capable, committed professional mom determined to work hard enough to make things happen for my children and me, until a genetic heart problem dropped my pulse to 16 and I had to have help--a dual-chamber pacemaker, invented only three years before and available only in first-world countries. Grateful? Yes. And I learned it’s okay not to be fully independent, instead to be more readily able to accept relational help, and network. Broken? Yes, but better.

What about you? Whether you’ve experienced physical, emotional, or mental testing enough to briefly make us psychoceramics, (cracked pots), we learn and benefit from lasting lessons. Most are important enough to pass along, or feature in our writings.

God is a master artist who redeems every circumstance. What shattering or breaking experience resulting in repair with gold or silver will you share that has made life far more beautiful and effective than before?

6 comments:

  1. Wow. Glad you had the opportunity to get that pacemaker.

    For me, a definingly shattering episode set me on a road of gentleness and care for the lost and hurting. It took awhile; the process wasn't instantaneous, but as life resolved itself - and distance gave perspective - I realized what I had to do.

    Sorry it's a but vague, but I don't want to spoil anyone's morning by making them read about it. It was necessary, sanctioned, and heartbreaking. I dream of it most every night.

    http://blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.com/2014/04/holding-hands.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dee, beautiful. God has painted gold over a heart broken through infertility. He's taught me compassion and gentleness for others through walking through my own heartache. Hopefully He uses me to spread a little of His gold in others' lives from time to time. Loved this word picture today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brokenness. A most beautiful word because until we experience it, we are too independent to be used by God in the way He wants to use us. I cannot begin to count the ways I've been broken. Because I am a very independent person and sometimes let that independence get in God's way. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andew, (that's also my older son's name), I've only met you here, but as I read your words I think of strong, capable, blustery fisherman Peter who became the gentled author of I & 2nd Peter. Blessings your way.
    Jeanne--a wonderful tribute, and I'm sure the present gold is more wonderful than the untried beginning.
    Pat, I totally relate. Maybe that's why we connect so well--recognition & understanding. Thanks, all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, Dee! Thanks for such a wonderful reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brokenness has made me stronger, more empathetic and more aware of God's grace.

    A thoughtful post by a beautiful lady!

    ReplyDelete