I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Thursday, November 21, 2013

My Mother's Black Box


Recently I inherited a black jewelry box from my mother. I treasured it simply because it belonged to my mother who recently went to heaven. The box contained only a few buttons and safety pins. It was black and not especially pretty…until I noticed a bit of dark silver along the edge.
        The first chance I got, I purchased some silver polish and began polishing the black box. It wasn’t long before the black rubbed right off and exposed a beautiful silver finish.  I still don’t think it’s highly valuable, but it’s a great deal more beautiful with the silver shining instead of the tarnish.



It reminded me of the verse in Proverbs 25:4, “Take away the dross from the silver, and it will go to the silversmith for jewelry.”

How about that prodigal son? The wayward daughter? The aunt or uncle who is an embarrassment to the whole family?

Is there simply some dross that, when removed, will shine brightly? Have you given up?

Remember the Lord may be in the process of polishing the person who distresses you now.  That person many soon glow like a shiny silver box instead of a black one. Give the Lord time. And give the troublesome person a chance to sparkle.

(Note: due to technical difficulties, this is not the actual box. The box I inherited is much more beautiful.)





9 comments:

  1. This is beautiful, as always. I'm sure much of your great spiritual beauty, like well-polished silver, is inherited from her, too. Every blessing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Delores. I would love to be one-tenth like my mother.

      Delete
  2. I love the perspective of God polishing that person who may drive me crazy, or rub me in a wrong way. I guess it's true with most things in life. There's more to them than what I can see. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. I have been so uplifted today. I received a phone call from my baby sister this Sunday and she told me that she and her husband are splitting up, leaving my little niece caught in the middle. She informed me, through the course of the conversation, that she no longer believes in the Bible. I've known that for awhile. I've also known that this separation was coming, but I believe God is at work mightily in her life. This was just another confirmation of hope. Thanks Teri :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginger, there is nothing that our God cannot do.

      Delete
  4. Oh, Teri, I love this analogy. God sees our beauty through the black tarnish. To Him we are always that shiny silver. Thank you for the reminder. Beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to the day when the tarnish is gone forever!

      Delete