I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

I'm Learning -- Really, I Am (Guest Post by Author Christine Lindsay)



I taught Sunday school for decades, and I find writing much the same. While preparing the lesson, I always learned more than my students. As an author of historical novels, I often learn the same spiritual lessons my characters are learning.

While writing Captured by Moonlight I thought hard about the spiritual theme of surrendering ... All ... to God. Eshana is my fictional character, a young Indian woman who is a former child Hindu widow and who is now a Christian.

Eshana is convinced God wants her to run her former mentor’s mission in northern India. But after Eshana and the other heroine of this book—an English nurse—rescue a young girl from the abusive sex trade, they must escape. Eshana and Laine flee to the south of India. There, Eshana’s uncle—a very traditional Hindu—captures and imprisons her in a house hidden in the thick of the jungle.

When Eshana is forcibly dressed in the course white garment of a Hindu widow, she can’t accept the fact that God would allow her to be captured, imprisoned, and dressed again in these funeral clothes when she has known such freedom and life in Christ. Why is God curtailing her dreams? Her life?
Eventually Eshana learns that God has allowed these trials to teach her that she must surrender all her aspirations to Him, to trust that His plans are best. This means that she will not run that mission she had set her heart on.

What Eshana learns in Captured by Moonlight is something that I am learning too.

As I matured as a Christian, the Lord opened up all sorts of avenues of service, but I enjoy writing the most. 

But as a published author, with my first book in print and my second one newly released, I get caught up in what I am doing for the Lord. Like Eshana I must learn to wear funeral clothing for my plans and put my focus on ‘being’ with God.

Oswald Chambers in his devotional book, My Utmost for His Highest, puts it this way:
No one enters into the experience of entire sanctification without going through a ‘white funeral’-- the burial of the old life. Romans 6:4 “Buried with Him ... that ... even so we also should walk in newness of life.”

As a writer I am learning to put all of what I want to death, even the work that I love, so that God’s will comes first. Whatever good work you are doing for God, remember that it is His work. 

What has God been teaching you lately?
About the author: Irish-born Christine Lindsay writes award-winning historical novels. In Shadowed in Silk and Captured by Moonlight, Christine delights in weaving the endless theme of the Heavenly Father’s redemptive love throughout stories of danger, suspense, adventure, and romance. The Pacific coast of Canada, about 200 miles north of Seattle, is Christine’s home. Drop by Christine Lindsay’s website.

9 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful.

    Dying is the only way to live. Hard to embrace sometimes, but He helps us. Not sure I will ever fully grasp what Jesus did, this side of eternity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a paradox, eh Ginger. So true. And we have so much to look forward to in eternity like you say---touching the love that did that for us.

      Delete
  2. Each day I pray that I will redeem the coming hours in His will and not my own. But sometimes it's so hard not to pick it up in my power and get lost in the things I want to do. Dying to self isn't a one time does it all...it's minute by minute. Great post, Christine. I hope you'll come back to see us soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same for me Patricia, a day-to-day thing. Thank you for your encouragement.

      Delete
  3. That I need to hold on to him. Life has no guarantees without him. Thanks for being with us today! Come back again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennie, I'd love to. Love what you say, life has no guarantees without Him. We are so rich in knowing the Lord Jesus.

      Delete
  4. I loved this, Christine. God is teaching me to bring all things to Him. As I watch friends dealing with very difficult circumstances, I become overwhelmed in my concern for them. He wants me to bring them to Him and to do so continually. I can't despair on their behalf, but I can feel and encourage with His word. Okay, a wordy answer to a short (but not simple) question. :) Your book sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed this & will look for your books. I went to college in Bellinham 3 years, went to UBC living in West Pt. Gray, hiked around Squamish, skied Grouse Mtn. & Mt. Baker, have loved visiting close friends in Ireland 4 times--we're talking the same landscapes and it sounds like you do great things w/ chars. w/ excellent lasting insights. Congratulations, and keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed Christine's post so much -- and I got to read it before it went live on the blog. Such rich insights!

    ReplyDelete