I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Never, Never, Never Give Up!

While watching a special on 9/11 I learned that Rudy Giuliani, the mayor of New York City, went home that night and read the words of Winston Churchill. Sir Winston Churchill, one of the world’s greatest wartime leaders, was known for his leadership of the United Kingdom during World War II.

Churchill penned many an inspiring speech. Each motivated the British troops to push forward even in the face of adversity -- even when their homeland, bombed repeatedly by the Germans, lay in ruins.

As writers we don’t necessarily face war-time hardships, but it is easy to get disheartened. As writing conferences come and go and we pitch our stories, it is easy to fall victim to discouragement when we aren’t received well by an editor or agent. Or we have the roller coaster ride of emotions when we are asked to send our full manuscript only to have it rejected a few months later.

For those of you I give you Churchill’s words of wisdom:
• “Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference.”
• “Difficulties mastered are opportunities won.”
• “I never worry about action, but only about inaction.”
• “Success is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm.”
• “Continuous effort – not strength or intelligence – is the key to unlocking our potential.”
• “I am easily satisfied with the very best.”

Finally, the one quote that many of us have heard a number of times: “Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to conviction of honor and good sense.”

So my fellow authors, if I may change his words slightly, I’d like to say “Never give up, never give up, never; never; never; never give up.” You have a story -- an idea that God planted in your heart and mind. Never doubt that, push forward, strive for excellence, and never give up.

Blessings to you all.

Jennie Atkins

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for the inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good, Jennie. Churchill started out as a journalist and through the years wrote a large number of excellent books. Thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH, Jennie, I am addicted to quotes. You're talking my language today--in between quotation marks! Love 'em all--and the way you adapted the last one for writers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennie, Churchill's quotes have been spinning around in my mind for days as I plan my next post. Guess we can say great minds think alike. ;-) Thanks for your encouraging words--and those of Churchill.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the pick-me-up today! Pressing on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Jennie. Loved the post. Loved the quotes! Needed to hear them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome and encouraging post, Jennie!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for a boost on a day I really needed it. Great post, Jennie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are fantastic quotes and so applicable to our goals. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete