I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Monday, April 17, 2017

Hot topic: Hymns!

What?? How could something so gentle and sweet as a hymn be controversial?

After all, no one can deny that the Bible promotes singing and making melody in our hearts. David wrote hundreds of Psalms meant to be sung. The disciples sang a hymn with the Lord at the Last Supper. Paul and Silas even lifted a tune in while in prison!

But I've met some folks who think hymns written  less than 50 years ago just aren't right. Some may even insist on going back 100 years.

Well, I have to admit I do love some of the old hymns like the one in the picture. I can sing that one and "Amazing Grace" at the top of my lungs...unless the words really get to me. Then I reach for a Kleenex and wipe away a few tears. And don't get me started on "Holy, Holy, Holy" or "Just as I am".

But do we really need these new, modern hymns? Well, certainly not if they're accompanied by drums! (Just kidding! I need a little help with the beat.)

So why should anyone write a new hymn? Don't we have enough? No, we never will have "enough" hymns. As long as the love of the Lord Jesus inspires the hearts of His people, we will never have too many. In fact, if there are no new hymns, I think it would grieve the heart of our Savior...as though His love no longer inspires our hearts.

As much as I enjoy both the new and the old hymns, I do look forward to one hymn in particular. "And they sang a new song, saying 'Worthy are You to take the book and to break its seals; for You were slain, and purchased for God with Your blood men from every tribe and tongue and people and nation.'" (Revelation 5:9)

Now that's a choir I look forward too! And no one there will object to the tune or the rhythm.

What are some of your favorite hymns or spiritual songs? Do you have favorite Christian artists?








1 comment:

  1. In the Garden is one of my favorites! And all the ones you mentioned. Thanks for writing about these hymns--I've been humming them in my head all day!

    ReplyDelete