I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Monday, February 20, 2017

Exploring the Concept of Beauty

I’ve been thinking about the concept of “beauty” lately. In some ways, our society is obsessed with it, and I don’t think I need to go into detail since we see that obsession every day in many ways.

But it wasn’t our society’s concept of what’s pretty and what’s not that made me stop and think about beauty. It was the splendor that I see in God’s creation. You can see it in flowers, trees, and cute little doggies.

But if you follow me on Facebook, you know I’m currently fascinated with sunsets. I post pictures like this.  


And more like this.



Each one is unique, and most days I watch for the sunset and run for my camera if there’s a pretty one.


So it started me thinking about God’s thoughts about beauty. What does he say?

“He has made everything beautiful in its time.”  So all beauty comes from Him.

"How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him who brings good news.”  That one made me smile because I usually don’t take pictures of feet.

“Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant seeking beautiful pearls.” My mother gave me a strand of her pearls, so I do agree that they are gorgeous.

“Oh, worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness!” I had to think for a while about that verse because when I think of God’s holiness, beauty isn’t what first comes to my mind. But when I thought about it, the truly ugly things in this world do come from sin: brutality, jealously, greed, etc. So, indeed, the holiness of the Lord is beautiful.


One thing I’ve noticed about the sunsets: the most spectacular ones have clouds. Maybe there’s a lesson here too. When God allows some emotionally cloudy days in our lives, maybe He’s going to also allow His light to reflect from those clouds and send another display of His glory into the life of someone. 

So I’m will continue watching the sky in the evenings and will run for my camera when God lights up the sky.

One last thing I’ve noticed. Every time I scurry outdoors to take a picture of the sunset, my doggie, Titus, goes with me. But he never looks up at the sunset.


Think about that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment