I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Tuesday, January 24, 2017

An Alabaster Surprise

My Bible class has been studying the book of John this year. We came to John 12 where Mary anointed the feet of Jesus. One of our references was in Matthew 26:7 where it says this: "A woman came to Him with an alabaster vial of very costly perfume, and she poured it on this head..."

I love this story of Mary's devotion, and it always challenges me to think about ways I could show my devotion to the Lord.

But the "alabaster surprise" came to me this week as I looked at the bottom of a little dish my mother gave to me. It's alabaster! And yes, that's a picture of it.

As I examined at the dish, I saw that it appears it was sealed at one time. I don't know what it contained, but I'd like to think it was perfume...like Mary's.

Needless to say the dish is special to me just because it belonged to my mother. But I also realized just a bit more what a sacrifice Mary made because it was likely "costly" in more ways than one. Had someone special like my mother given it to her? Did she spend from her own money to buy it? In any case, the disciples scolded her, but the Lord saw right through to her heart of love.

Have you ever discovered a little treasure like this? What could you give to the Lord that others might think was a waste?

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful dish, Teri. And all the more special because your Mother gave it to you. I love this story in the Bible, too.

    ReplyDelete