I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Be anxious for nothing

By Jennie Atkins

As Christians we've all heard this verse (Philippians 4:6-7), listened to preaching involving this verse, and honestly tried to apply it to our lives.

Some of us succeed . . . and . . . well . . . some of us don't.  Let's face it we're human and life happens--so we worry.

Over the past year things have happened in my life and the lives of my family members that have challenged me and my faith in multiple ways.

Have I been anxious?  Absolutely! 

But through it all I have learned more about this verse than I ever thought possible. Here are some of my insights:

First, when we try to anticipate the trials ahead of us, when we worry about tomorrow, we are forgetting that God is with us now and always. We are taking away what he wants to do in our lives. Each day brings on difficulties, but by leaning on God e-v-e-r-y day, trusting in him, we are acknowledging that He is in control of our lives.

Second, by worrying about tomorrow, we are experiencing our troubles many times over. God only intends for us to face our trials one time--not rehearse them over and over and over again.  This just increases our suffering.

Lastly, on days when everything goes awry, perhaps it is then that God wants to do something more important in our life or in the life of someone else.

God has plans for all of us.  Plans for a good life, if only we trust in Him and not be anxious.

3 comments:

  1. Jennie, what a testimonial! I have learned to lean on Him in the worst of times and to give him the praise in the good times. But I'm human and sometimes worry, regardless. Thanks for a timely message!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennie, thanks for her you are and what you write. I'm eager to hear the details, when it's time, of how He has taken care of you and hubby this time. Love & blessings your way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true, Jennie! Especially what you said about worrying about tomorrow causes us to experience our troubles many times over. Thanks for blessing us!

    ReplyDelete