I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Stranger than Fiction!

There’s an old cliché that “life is stranger than fiction”.  A surprising event reminded me recently that it’s true!

About 31 years ago when my husband and I worked as missionaries in Bolivia, we received word from a hospital in Buena Vista that tiny twins needed adoptive parents. Needless to say, we rushed to the hospital! A representative ushered us into a room where we gazed on the tiniest babies we had ever seen. They weighed only 2 pounds and a few ounces.


We lost our hearts. Goners. Over the top. Helplessly in love with those babies! We adopted them and named them Daniel and Sarah. I began the most exhausting period of my life caring for our premature twins. We moved back to the States when they were about 2 years old and went through all the “terrible twos”, teen, and collage years that all parents go through.

Then about 6 months ago, out of the blue, our twins reconnected with their birth family through…get this…Facebook! We had left a photo of our twins with our contact at the hospital, and the birth family found our kids through that picture.

Daniel took a trip to Bolivia over the Christmas holidays and met with his birth family face to face. He came here recently and showed me the photo album of his visit. Sarah hopes to go too someday.

One of the special things about all this for me has been the way their birth sister, Juani, has accepted me as part of the family. She sends me messages with many kind words. I feel like I have a new daughter!

The beautiful tablecloth in the picture is the gift that Juani sent to me when Daniel returned.

We never expected to be reunited with this wonderful family in Bolivia, but are so thankful that God’s blessings to us and not only stranger than fiction, but way better!


7 comments:

  1. What a wonderful and heartwarming story, Teri! I've met Sarah and she's so beautiful inside and out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a wonderful story and beautifully expressed. The embroidered gift is beautiful, and I know the birth family could not be more grateful for the love you've poured into those young lives. I've also met and value Sarah. You're all winners!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Update: Danny brought me another gift, two original paintings from his birth brother!!

      Delete
  3. Such a beautiful story, Teri! God had a special plan for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa. I think if I wrote it into a fiction book, the editor would say "too improbable"!

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful story Teri. You are all blessed.

    ReplyDelete