I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Thursday, October 3, 2013

From Contract to Publication...

by Patricia Bradley

It’s been a year since Revell made an offer on my romantic suspense manuscript, Shadows of the Past, and I thought readers might like to know a little of what goes on from contract to publication. So I thought I’d do a little interview with myself.

What is the question you get asked the most often?

When is your book coming out? Early on when I told the questioner it would be February 1st, their eyes would grow wide and I knew the next question that was coming. What takes so long? I don’t know why it takes a year, but I’ve noticed most Trades, (and this book is the Trade size) take about a year from turning it in until publication. But...Shadows of the Past can now be preordered on AmazonCBD, and Barnes and Noble!

During that year, Shadows of the Past went through at least 3 edits. The first with my acquisitions editor—it was actually 2 edits, then another one with the line editor, and at that point I’m thinking, but I thought you liked the book! Then a final one called the galley proofs. While I was doing the galley proof, another reader was proofing for typos.

Do you get to choose your cover?

No. I do get asked if I like it. Lol. Thankfully, Revell does really great covers. See…

So, it doesn’t look like you do much while you’re waiting for your book to come out.

Oh, but I do. I’m in contact with the marketing team and the publicist, and I’ve been busy writing the next book in the series. Just turned it in at the end of August, and received an email last week that the editor loved it. The relief I experienced actually made me sick. Wasn’t good for anything the rest of the day.

I hear horror stories about edits. Were they really bad?

I didn’t think so. I wanted my book to be the best it could be, and I figured the editors at Revell knew what it took to make it the best. Was it always easy? No! Sometimes I had to really dig deep within myself to come up with the changes my editors wanted. But, I had taken my book as far as I knew how. I was so glad to have guidance and editors knowledgeable about what it needed.

What was the hardest part of the whole process?

For me, it was reading and re-reading my manuscript. It got to a point where I was reeeeeeally sick of it. But, hopefully all that reading will help make it a better book!

Now, I have a question for you, the reader. What are you looking for when you read a book?

Patricia Bradley
www.ptbradley.com
@ptbradley1

I asked God to teach me patience and He gave me a book to write.


16 comments:

  1. Great concept of interviewing yourself because you have a good chance of getting answers! Thanks for sharing the process and being such a good pioneering role model forging ahead. I can't wait to hold/read a final copy & know you're on your way to many more good book accomplishments. Thanks for your hard work and congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I not only interview myself, I talk to my self all the time. Someone once said, well don't answer yourself. My reply? How else will I get the answers I want! Thanks for the encouragement, Dee!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for a behind the scenes look at publishing, Pat! I just sent my manuscript to my agent and I'm at the point where I'm tired of reading and re-reading it! Looking forward to the day when I'll have an editor's eye on it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how well I know that reading and rereading. Do your eyes cross? Mine do. lol Gabrielle, that time with an editor isn't long off!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing this experience. It's a blessing to be able to walk the writing rode with you, Pat. Thankful you're ahead of me to leave trail markers! Going to Amazon now to place a pre-order for an amazing book I've read a few times, and can't wait to read it again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Renee!!!! You have been such a blessing. You really made a difference with the book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Seymour sibling! I love how you did your interview and love your book cover too. Thanks for sharing : - )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sonya! So glad you stopped by. And I'm so glad you love the cover--me too.

      Delete
  6. Very interesting, Pat! I can't wait to order it and read it. I like the cover, the suspenseful look, etc. I cannot wait to buy it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Teri. You have encouraged me so much over the last few years.

      Delete
  7. I'm doing revisions right now, so I understand about the reading and re-reading...also about the "But I thought you liked it." However, we do want our books to be the very best possible, don't we? I'm excited for your debut release, Pat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Lisa about want our books to be the very best possible. I actually emailed my line editor and thanked her for saving my hide. Both of my editors made my book better! I can't wait for your next book, either!

      Delete
  8. Pat, this is such an exciting insider's look. I am so thrilled for you and can't wait to add your book to my shelf. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Johnnie. And thank you for helping to get Shadows to an editor! Yoiu and Renee and Chandra and Rob are great crit partners!

      Delete
  9. What great insight! I am so excited about the release of this book.

    Pat, thanks for sharing the process with us more. It takes an insider to really lay out all the nuts and bolts of a matter,
    And now I have some things to chew on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally missed this yesterday! Pat, I'm so blessed to know you, and I'm super excited to read your book when it comes out. I also enjoyed hearing your perspective on the process from contract to publication. :)

    ReplyDelete