I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Friday, February 10, 2012

Brothers: The Good, The Bad, and The Messy

David, Amy, Gregg, Matt


I probably didn’t appreciate my two younger brothers as much as I should have growing up. They followed my friends and me around. Relentlessly. They went through my diary. They burped in my face. They woke me up wanting to play at six am every Saturday morning.

But, I wasn’t the perfect sister, either. I may have carved “David” into our parent’s bathroom cabinetry with a new pocketknife. (I’m no ordinary dummy.) I may have swindled Matt out of the baby turtle he found at the cabin for a clam. They both got stuck being goalie while I practiced my slapshot during the summers.

Yet, at the end of the day, they are my brothers—and some of my best friends. They, along with my husband, are the ones I can let loose and have a shaving cream fight with at the lake on a weekend. They love the messy in me. They are honest with me when I need a reality check. They are always there to cheer me on.

Sometimes we tend to take people in our lives for granted. A couple of years ago, David got sick with complications from diabetes and ended up in the hospital. I still can’t imagine what life would be like without him. This summer Matt’s getting married and things will change again (welcome to the clan, Daphne!)

Change is inevitable, but family, and good friends, can anchor us through it. They can take the messy parts of life and make them bearable. They love us no matter what. Who in your life has been someone you have taken for granted? How can you let them know you love them this month?

Blessings,
Amy

13 comments:

  1. Love your post, Ames. And I'm sure your brothers are excited (well, as excited as men get) about Sprout's impending arrival.

    My brother is the reason I have a phobia of snakes. When we were little, he used to chase me around the yard with them and throw them on me. What a rotten kid.

    But now, I love him very much, although I do continue to remind him of his rottenness. He laughs and tells me to get over it. Uh huh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your post, Amy! I always wanted to trade my two younger sisters for two older brothers. My parents never agreed to the trade. :) Reading your post, though, makes me think about my sisters, the memories both good and bad, that shaped us into the women we are today. I think it's time to let them know how much they mean to me. Thanks for sharing.
    BTW, love that picture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As kids my sister and I would sit at the breakfast table, calling each other the most gross names imaginable...but today, she's my best friend. Think I'll send her a Valentine! Thanks Amy for a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LJ, too funny! I guess you got "shaped" just like Jeanne did, although perhaps in a less good way!

    I was the dork chasing snakes around the yard WITH my brothers trying to catch them.

    They are excited about being uncles. I think Matt kept repeating, "I'm gonna be an uncle, I'm gonna be an uncle..." in amazement when I first told him! Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeanne, we should have talked as kids, I probably would have traded you my brothers...I always wanted a sister (mostly to fight with and steal clothes from, I think!) But, looking back, God put me in the perfect family! I'm glad you realized that too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing how we appreciate them as adults, huh, Pat? I'm glad you are going to remind her you love her this month!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this, how real and fun. I needed to leave home when my sis. was 9, my bro, 2, and I ended up living far away in different grad. schools, etc. When I drove cross-country a few years ago, my sis. decided I needed her help. Four days of together though she made clear we recalled the past differently and we didn't agree on some things. But it was good and now I usually see (& the others) around once/year and we generally phoned weakly. I appreciate that she has glued together some complicated family dynamics out west well, though it seems to cost her health. Yes, I should send her & her great husband a valentine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have an older brother, a twin sister, a younger brother, and a younger sister -- all 18 months a part. (Well, except for my twin. We're 4 minutes a part.)
    I don't know how my mom did it some days. When I was older, I called her and apologized for all the times we that I interrupted her afternoon nap on the couch because now my kiddos were interrupting mine!

    :O)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Talk about memories. I had three older brothers, one baby bro and one baby sis. I have to say, life was tough, but my siblings were the best. To this day, I still take what they tell me to heart. I couldn't imagine my life without them. I obviously loved being in a large family, I have four kids and a german shepherd..hehe :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dee, Tee and AT, I love hearing about your families! I know about your current families, for the most part, but it's so much fun to hear about your growing up years. Funny how our perspectives have changed and the things we remember differently than our siblings.

    I think its sort of interesting that we seemed to reproduce our parents households, to some extent, too. I'm having a girl, and would love 2 more boys...and my brothers and I are all exactly 3years apart, and that was just perfect...

    Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tee, who's older, you or your twin?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't have brothers - I have 3 sisters!! One older and two younger. But it's the same - you never appreciate them as much when you're growing up as you do when they're grown. My sisters are my best friends and I couldn't imagine doing life without them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have the best brothers in the whole wide world, and they keep proving it to me over and over again.

    ReplyDelete