I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

When You're Running on Empty

by Teri Smith

Face it. Sometimes we get depleted. We'd like to put on a front that says "all is well", but life sometimes has a way of sapping our strength. The Bible says we're created with a spirit, soul, and body. Any of these can end up drained.

But we don't have to stay that way! We can replenish, and here's a few suggestions.

If your spirit needs refreshing, make sure you're at church! Worshiping with other believers does wonders to lift that part of us that connects with God. Or sign up for a Bible conference. I've enjoyed several of Beth Moore's conferences. Sign up for a Bible study. Bible Study Fellowship and Precepts are both great places to start. And don't forget your own personal quiet time. God's Word has it's own power to renew our spirits.

But maybe your soul needs revival. The soul is that part of our being that has affections. Sometimes we refer to it as our "heart". I suggest maintaining friendships. Invite a friend to go on a walk with you. I have a walking buddy who often phones and asks if I'd like to walk. It helps that I've known her since childhood, but don't be afraid to make a new friend. Probably there's someone close by who would treasure a new friend. Ask her to join you at a restaurant. God made us to enjoy companionship.

But I also find that sometimes, it's really my body that needs refueled. This is when that "walking with a friend" has a duel purpose. Or join a gym. Take up a new sport like tennis or swimming. And don't forget healthy eating. Binge eating or too much sugar never picks us up in the long run.

Now about that writing. What can you do if you're out of inspiration? That's part of what we Ponderers are all about. We'd love to encourage you or help you brainstorm. Just let us know how we can help! I also suggest My Book Therapy with Susan May Warren and Rachel Hauck. It's an amazing community of writers to teach and inspire. American Christian Fiction Writers also has a yearly conference with amazing teachers, appointments with agents and editors. It pretty much has to be experienced to fully understand.

What about you? What do you do to keep vibrant in your spirit, soul, and body? Share, please!

2 comments:

  1. Good sound advice, Teri, and I always love hearing from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely, Teri! What a great post.

    ReplyDelete