I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Tuesday, December 29, 2015

My Favorite Things


By Jennie Atkins

When asked what my favorite movie is I can instantly reply, The Sound of Music.  Its imagery, music and plot make it appealing to me on a multitude of levels.  My favorite being the music. I don’t know too many people when its title is mentioned that don’t automatically picture Julie Andrews standing on the top of a hill belting out the words “The hills are alive with the sound of music.” 

Having seen this movie at a young age, I can honestly say it cemented a love of music, song, and lyrical messaging into my life. Music plays an important role in my life.  I associate events of my past with certain songs. I can recognize a movie by their opening music without looking at the television. And like the chorus from the Sound of Music says, “My heart wants to sing every song it hears.”

So as we enjoy this season of faith, love and renewed hope. I go back to one of the songs from that movie called My Favorite Things.

The writer of the song may have delighted in bright copper kettles.  I can’t say that, but I do love to cook for my family.  I take so much join in having them gather around the dining room table to enjoy the food I prepared, laugh at the antics of the grandkids, and catch up on the years events.

I may not think brown paper packages are pretty, but I am thankful for what God has given me so that I can delight in giving gifts to others.

I don’t necessarily get excited about doorbells, but I do get excited when they herald family and friends into my home.

I may have never been bitten by a dog, but there have been times when life has taken a chunk out of me.  I’ve been tired, overwhelmed, and discouraged.  But if this song reminds me of anything--it was to count my blessings.

By thanking God for what he had done and praising him for what he will do in my life in the upcoming year, I can easily push aside any gloom or dismay that tries to hang over me like a dark cloud and count my blessings.

I thank God for my life-long friend and husband, my children and grandchildren, and for the many friends that have entered my life, if only briefly. I am thankful for all God has provided, including my health. But most of all, I am thankful for God who loves me in spite of myself.

So as 2015 comes to a close, I pray all the best for you and your families.  May your joys be doubled, may your sorrows be few, and may you rest in the abundance of God’s eternal blessings in the upcoming year.






2 comments: