I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

I Don't Feel Good!

I don’t know about you, but I can generate a thousand excuses for not writing. Unfortunately, as I wrote in my last blog post, putting off writing when I know I’m supposed to equals sin. Regardless of excuses. But what about when I have a genuine excuse? What if I’m too sick to write?

When I was a little girl, if I told my mom I didn’t “feel good” and couldn’t go to school, she always told me to get up and shower, and if I still didn’t feel good, I could stay home. Brilliant, right? She did this to differentiate between sick and lazy. Because if I wasn’t really sick, by the time I was out of the shower, I was wide awake, and might as well go to school.

Does God do the same thing? It’s possible, except that He can see our hearts and doesn’t need the shower trick to know if we are truly sick. But I also think He doesn’t call us without giving us what we need to obey. In other words, I don’t believe He calls us to do something and then leaves us without the tools we need to finish the job. Look at all the scriptural accounts in which God equipped the people He called. He gave specific instructions to Noah, Abraham, Moses, Joshua, Gideon, Ruth, Mary and Joseph, Paul, and even Jesus, and then provided tools to aid in their obedience. Whether detailed specifications or His unshakable power, God provided everything these men and women needed to succeed.

Yesterday I woke up with a migraine headache. If you’ve ever suffered with migraine, then you know that my day was shot. Usually, when a migraine comes on during the day, I get a “warning” of sorts—a blurry patch in my vision, like pixilation on a TV screen—and I can get in front of it with my “Migraine Cocktail” (a combination of Excedrin, Benedryl, magnesium, feverfew, and turmeric washed down with a caffeinated beverage) and icepacks. However, if I wake up with one, nothing helps. My husband or sons put blankets over the windows to block out as much light as possible while I attempt to sleep it off and resist the urge to dig my left eye out of its socket with a spoon. Usually, I wake up the next morning with the exhaustion of a headache hangover being the only trace of the migraine. (And yes, both eyeballs intact.)

So, yesterday. The migraine went pretty much as expected with one notable exception. This morning I woke up and it was still there. This doesn’t happen to me very often…like maybe once every five years…but it happened today.  And of course, today was my day to blog. As I lay in bed, trying to figure out what to do, I remembered that thing my mom used to make me do. So I followed her lead and came out to my computer. I prayed that God would equip me to sit at my computer, look at the excruciatingly bright screen, and think clearly enough to write sentences that make sense. (Hopefully they do!)

As usual, God proved He is unfailing in all things. He literally used my pain to provide a topic, a message, and the clarity I needed to communicate it. Also, He showed me His faithfulness: after all, if He is willing to provide what I need to write a 700-word blog post, how much more will He provide when I need something significantly bigger? Psalm 55:22 tells us if we cast our cares on Him, He will sustain us. What a fabulous promise!  


So, back to the question of being “too sick to write.” Honestly, rarely do I feel worse than when I have a migraine. If ever a time existed in which I was too sick to write, it would be today, right now; the throbbing pain behind my left eye and down the left side of my neck, the nausea, and the sensitivity to light should make it impossible for me to sit here and write this blog. Yet, because God is faithful to provide, here I am, writing word number 701 on today’s blog post: YAY!!



Have you ever been too sick to write (or whatever else God is calling you to do)? If so, what did you do?

2 comments:

  1. Sick or well, you are always a delight. You generated good stuff even in this situation. Wishing you health, joy, and many blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying that your headache is gone! Regardless, this is a great post. I've found that if I'll just start something when I don't feel good, endorphins kick in and soon I've forgotten that I feel bad. :-)

    ReplyDelete