I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

You Know You Want Me: Sin and the Serious Disciple




From the time I was a teen until I was roughly twenty-eight years old, I had a cynical view of salvation. 

Here I was a Spirit-filled Christian yet I could not understand the importance of being one. At least, not being one at such a young age. After all, hasn't many a person gone through life, doing their own thing and come to Christ in his later years and ended just fine?

Oh I knew that being a Christian was important. You didn't want to go to Hell, And since you didn't know when you were going to die, you'd better be ready. But, I still did not understand the reason for being a Christian so young. 

It’s not that I wanted to live a sin-filled life either. I just didn't understand the reason to be so diligent at such a young age.

Then one day my faith got challenged. 

I had only been married for about seven years when I looked out my upstairs window to see a handsome man cutting his grass. Out of nowhere a terrible thought came over me. It was something dark that, in a moment, a flash, had gotten a hold of me. 

I wanted to get his attention, have him look up at me. I wanted to be with him and I wanted him to want me. Kind of like David and Bathsheba. The urge was so overpowering, so overwhelming that I could barely breathe. 

Seconds past and I began to think of my husband and our little boys. Then I stepped away from the window, caught my breath and asked myself, "Why?"

Hours later as I was reading my Bible, I came across James 1:12

Jas 1:12  Blessed is a man who perseveres under trial; for once he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him.

Cool! I had resisted temptation even though I didn't know why that was important. But then James continues to address the why:

Jas 1:13  Let no one say when he is tempted, "I am being tempted by God"; for God cannot be tempted by evil, and He Himself does not tempt anyone.
Jas 1:14  But each one is tempted when he is carried away and enticed by his own lust.
Jas 1:15  Then when lust has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and when sin is accomplished, it brings forth death.

Now I didn't understand those verses completely, but I knew by them that it was greatly important for me to resist temptation. So asking God to help me I never went back to my window again. 

Moving forward from that day, I had not become a better person per se, but I had become more seasoned.

Stay with me, I have a life-changing point.

It was not until after walking with God several years that the answer to my lifelong question came to me.

A woman that I knew and loved came to me one day with a problem that was too big for the both of us. Her teenager had gotten into grave danger. This mother who had known God and walked with Him in her earlier years had been drawn away by so many other things and instead of her faith being strengthened through the years, it had waned and came under disrepair. As I prayed for the situation both with her and in intercessory prayer alone, God answered and the child was brought out of danger. 

I realized then that walking with the Lord all these years and learning to trust Him had made all that possible. I'm not saying God will not hear you otherwise, I'm just saying, it's a whole lot easier to believe and trust someone you KNOW then someone you don't. And having tried the Lord, I knew when He said that He would bring the child out of danger, that He meant it. She, on the other hand, did not and so had no faith to stand.

Our walk is not simply about us, it is about others especially our legacy. 



The Bible tells a story about Two men who built their houses on different materials. One on sand and the other on solid rock. When the storms of life came, the man who built his life on sand (temporary pleasures, wants etc) lost his house. For you parents out there, that means your children. The Bible says his loss was great. 

Like David who first slew the bear and the lion and because of this was able to slay Goliath, or like Joseph who learned to run a household, then a jail before he ever ran a kingdom, you will have to submit to the exercising of both your faith and trust in the Lord. 

Do not think for one moment that it will always be easy but I tell you this: Before you can be a father or mother in the Church, you must first be a child in the Church and submit your life to God and to other fathers and mothers. That’s hard to do when your fathers and mothers are flawed humans, but it’s Biblical and you will never grow in God the way you were intended too if you don’t.


The man who built his house on the Solid Rock, (that's Jesus and faith in Him) when the storms came, his entire house was saved. 

Let me put it another way:

Before you can run a marathon you must first condition, and that takes discipline, time, diligence and perseverance. So start running. Others are depending on us.








3 comments:

  1. Great conclusion here. Thanks, Ginger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't start training for a marathon by running 26.2 miles the first day. You can't do it. You take baby steps...being a Christian is the same thing. You start out by reading His word, then applying it to your life. Great post, Ginger.

    ReplyDelete