Pondering Healthy Living
By Alena Tauriainen
I wanted to ponder healthy living today but be forewarned I’m in a snarky mood.
I turned forty last year and well, I think there was a chemical or hormonal miscommunication with my body that told it to slow down on the whole metabolism thing. Seriously? I did not send the memo; somebody slipped it by me.
All the things I did before forty stopped working. No problem I could figure this out. I am after all, a mature woman with a business and four absolutely (if slightly insane) kids ranging from ten to eighteen. I could handle this.
Here are some of most common suggestions:
- Wake up earlier - Seriously? I average about five hours of sleep as it is.
- Cut back on your caloric intake - Have you ever run three miles or finished a sixty-minute aerobics class and NOT been hungry?
- Put your fork down in-between bites so your stomach has time to get the message your full. - Who uses a fork these days? It’s a burger or a taco on the fly.
All right, sarcasm aside here are some ideas that work for me.
1. Accountability – If I tell my buddies what I’m doing or I plan to meet them to work-out, chances are I’m going to stick to it.
2. Information – We live in a world of instant information. Get an app on your smart phone to track your eating or your workouts. Runtastic is one of the apps I use to help me track work-outs. I also signed up for daily fit tips from fitnessmagazine.com
3. Pictures. I pulled out my honeymoon pictures on the beach in the Cayman Islands then I looked in the mirror. Talk about serious motivation. Or how about hearing your kids say, “Mom was that really you?” Yes, you know God is into modern day miracles, that child is still living and breathing.
4. Just Do It. You have to decide. Only you can make it happen.
5. Be realistic. I will never be a size five. Never. But I can be healthier and leaner by eating better and exercising regularly.
Remember the best idea is the one that works. What tools or tricks have you learned to be healthier?