I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Calming the Storm...or Calming the Child*

He who forms the mountains, 
who creates the wind, 
and who reveals his thoughts to mankind, who turns dawn to darkness, and treads on the heights of the earth—the Lord God Almighty is his name. 
Amos 4:13 NIV

Lisa Jordan: Early this morning, I awoke to flashes of lightning, rolling thunder and driving rain. 

I hate storms, particularly anything involving wind or lightning. When I was a child, a tree had fallen on our house. Even though I had spent the night with my grandparents, who lived down the road, that accident created a domino effect of events that changed my life forever. 

As the rains pelted my windows and kept me from drifting back to sleep, I prayed and asked God to calm the storm. And if He wouldn't do that, then would He please calm this child. 

For the next two hours, my mind drifted to my current WIP, which is due to my editor tomorrow, the previous day's activities and the week ahead. For the most part, I didn't focus on the rain again until lightning slashed the sky and lit up my bedroom, then I repeated my prayer. 

Last night's storm was gentle compared to storms others have endured such as hurricanes, tornados and typhoons, but they caused anxiety and sleeplessness in me. For me, for that moment, the rain was troubling. God heard the whispers because the storm died down at times, and I managed not to dwell on it. 

Rain is vital to our everyday living. It can be cooling, refreshing on a hot summer's day. Or it can be devastating and wreck havoc. Even the strongest tree can crack if the winds and rains are strong enough. 

The same goes with life--we may endure a gentle summer-like rain of challenges, or at times, it feels like a hurricane has blown through and ripped our hearts apart. No matter how severe the storm, though, God is in the midst.

God stays constant, never bending or breaking. And no matter how small or heavy are the wind gusts in our lives, He hears every prayer, every cry of our heart. Sometimes we may think He can't hear us, but not only has He heard, but He's at work calming the storm...or the child. 

Your Turn: Do you find comfort in rain storms? How to you handle adversity in the storms of life?

*Originally published at www.lisajordanbooks.com, but modified for this post.

12 comments:

  1. Lisa,
    I'm going to post that to remind me. So often we ask God to calm the storm instead of asking Him to make us calm. Unfortunately I most often ask him to change the circumstances instead of changing me - giving me peace in the midst of the storm.

    Thank you for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guilty of asking HIm to change the circumstances too...but sometimes, like you, I'm the one who needs to be changed.

      Delete
  2. I love the song your prayer comes from, Lisa. And it's so true. Sometimes He does calm the storm and peace reigns around us. Other times, the storms in my life rage outside me, but He calms me. His peace reigns within me.

    I enjoy rain storms, lightning and thunder...when I'm tucked safe within my home. Being out in them scares me. The fear of tornadoes scares me more. When adversity comes my way, I'm learning to run to God quickly, in His word, in praying, in journaling, and I ask Him to be my comfort and the One who gives me wisdom. When I make Him my refuge, He gives me what I need to walk through the storm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanne, I love what you said here:

      When I make Him my refuge, He gives me what I need to walk through the storm.

      God is a great provider of strength no matter what challenges we're facing.

      Delete
  3. I absolultely LOVE thunderstorms. I love watching the lightening flash across the sky and listening to the deep roll of the thunder. I even do well and can trust God with the "big" things that normally lay a believer flat on their back. Its the small things that get me, and God has been helping me through that for years. I grumble and complain (not a very good witness in that respect) and finally get through it. I just need to learn to turn those over to the One who can help me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeannie, I think we've all been guilty of thinking God isn't interested in those little storms in our lives, but truth is, he wants to handle all of our concerns and give us the strength we need to weather them.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for your faithfulness, Lisa. I appreciate these words. Many blessings your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dee, you are such an inspiration for me to stay faithful. Your prayers help fuel my day! XOXO

      Delete
  5. I just clicked on the blog, thinking today was Tuesday and found 7 comments, and thought wow! It's not even 7 am and Lisa already has comments...Okay, okay, so I thought it was Tuesday, and don't tell me you haven't done the same thing. :-)

    I'm like Jenny. I love thunderstorms, wait, maybe it's the time just before the thunderstorm that I love. That's when there's so much energy in the air, and you can almost see the wind as it whips the trees. The thunder and lightning, not so much.
    Life storms? In some of my worst storms, God wrapped me in the bubble of his love and after the storm was over, I missed that closeness that only a storm can bring. Great post, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, I've been so focused on my book deadline that I've forgotten which day was which at times so I can relate.

      I love what you said about the closeness only a storm can bring. I found some of my previous life storms have strengthened my faith, which really helped when I dealt with some recent storms.

      Delete
  6. Lisa, I love how you turned to God and asked Him to calm you. As I tuck my little guy into bed every night, I almost always remind him that God will never leave him or forsake him. That's a thought we all need to remember. I love thunderstorms when I'm safe inside my house or car. I've ridden out several hurricanes, and thankfully have never suffered much loss, but a tornado would terrify me.

    Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roxanne, I love how you remind your little man of God's constant presence. When we plant those seeds in our kids when they're young, they have a stronger foundation when life storms shake them.

      Delete