I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Monday, May 21, 2012

Next

Image courtesy of felipedan
by Jenness Walker
This week in my town, everything’s about to change. Many people—my co-author included—are going to don billowy zip-up gowns, funny-shaped hats, and walk down the aisle in exchange for a certificate.
But it’s more than a piece of paper. It’s proof that they’ve worked hard. They’ve accomplished something great. And they’re about to move on to, well, whatever’s next. And whatever that is, something’s going to change.

Where are you at? A lot of us are facing change, even if we don’t have to wear the black robe. Are you a new mom, having to head back to work, like Amy? Are you looking at a career change?  A move? Are you getting married? Are you about to start a new WIP?
Change can feel a lot like stepping off a cliff. (Um, not that I actually know that first-hand. Living in Florida, I don’t have many opportunities to try that particular feat.) But that means we have a great opportunity to allow God to have total control. To trust Him to keep us safe and guide us to the next stop in His plan for our lives.

“Commit your way to the Lord; trust in Him, and He will act.” Psalm 37:5 ESV

We don’t need to worry. He’s the Author, and, unlike me, He doesn’t do anything by the seat of His pants. (No disrespect intended.)

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11 NIV
He’s got everything under control—no surprises on His end. He knows our dreams, what will fulfill us, and what we need even more than we do. He knows everything about us. He sees the big picture. And He loves us more than anyone ever has or ever will.

That makes the next step a little less scary, don’t you think?
“The steps of a man are established by the Lord, when he delights in His way.” Psalm 37:23 ESV

So whatever changes are happening in your life right now, you can stop worrying. Leave it to the Author of our faith, because He’s already written this chapter.

13 comments:

  1. Jenness, such a good reminder about trusting the Lord for what is "next." Jer. 29:11 is one of my all time favorite verses. God always knows the plans He has for me, and when I walk in them step by step, I will have His very best. Thanks for the reminder to trust His control in my life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jenness! I'm in the middle of chapter 2 on a new book and it feels like that step off a cliff thingy. I really needed your post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all the verses, especially the reminder to commit our plans to God first! Had to laugh about not having a cliff to jump off. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this with tears in my eyes because I'm going through a major family change that is beginning to hit me hard--my baby is graduating high school. This summer, our oldest son is moving 3 hours away to attend a new school, and our baby will be at that same school in the fall, leaving Hubby and I in our empty nest.

    Change is hard.

    Change hurts.

    Change is needed to grow.

    Thanks for a great reminder, JP!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenness, Thank you so much for your reminder that God is in control. Even when we have his assurance that stepping off the cliff is the right thing to do, having to go through it, and live with it later can sometimes be challenging. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like we all had a need of remembering that God has our next step, our next day, our next need under control.

    Thanks, Jenness!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for good and timely post.
    I remember being age 6 and getting my 1st glasses & repeatedly finding the pavement was much closer than I thought--I think usually the cliff isn't as high and steep as we think either--unless our kids are lvg. home--that transition was hard for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "...God has our next step, our next day, our next need under control."

    Teri, I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dee, that's a great illustration. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jeanne, it's one of my favorites, too. There's a picture we had in the bookstore where I work that I loved--had that verse, as well as a little girl with her hands outstretched and her head thrown back--such an image of trust and expectation. I was almost sad that we sold it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jennie, you've certainly walked off some cliffs in the last year, haven't you? :-)

    Thanks Pat and Roxanne!

    LJ--hugs. You'll get through this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much for a great post. It spoke to me, but I especially liked for my grandson and his bride to be.
    She just graduated college last weekend, they are getting married in 4 weeks, moving from the state she has called home...Everything in her life is changing but we see God in the process. She and my grandson are taking that next step holding on to each other with one hand and God with the other.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post! I may need to frame this one... :-)

    ReplyDelete